Saturday, September 21, 2013

DIY Boot Socks for Dummies

Boot socks are so hot right now. Literally. It's still the end of summer weather in most parts of the country, but it won't be long before we are in full fledged fall. Last year I started eying boot socks/cuffs on pinterest.







But I noticed that these boot socks were not cheap (and I am). Then I saw some DIY pins popping up so I was all over it until I found out the tutorials required knitting or sewing. I am not that crafty, but refusing defeat I decided there was nothing to stop me from just cutting the sleeves off a sweater.

First of all the sweater has to be big enough to to fit on your leg. I have skinny legs, but they are still bigger than my wrists (hopefully yours are too). I had this frumpy sweater that I bought second hand from a thrift store while visiting Colorado. Here is a picture of me wearing it when I was pregnant with SJ 4 years ago.



 The sweater has a lot of stretch to it and it's the perfect cable knit, so I went after it with some scissors. I told the sweater not to feel bad because it had served it's job well, but it was time to move onto other things.

There was one part of the knit that was a tight thread, probably to keep it from unraveling, but it was quite restricting so I cut it. It will probably unravel eventually, but it's good enough for now. That's my style "eh, good enough".


This is an awkward pose of me wearing my home made boot socks on a date last winter. The necklace, boots, and dress were also purchased used!

If you've got skills and you're looking to make real upcycled sweater cuffs check out this post



If you are wanting to know how to do it the podunk way like me, it's easy. Just cut the sleeve off a sweater and put it on your leg. Roll them, scrunch them, go thigh high. The styling is up to you.


I appologize that I do not have photos of me using scissors, but just picture a close up of my hands cutting in a really jagged line.

I love to buy used, reuse, upcycle, and all that other thrifty green stuff AND I love this fall look. Now I just have to wait for that weather to change!



Linked up with What I Wore Wednesday

3 comments:

nancy from ky said...

Cute idea, we've been doing this sort of thing like cutting and changing clothes for years haven't we.

{amy} said...

I did this with an old sweater, too! I think I saw it on Pinterest! :) I knitted a pair, too, but I like the sweater ones better. Yours look cute! Like you, I can't wait until it's cool enough to wear them!

Marie said...

fabulous idea. I don't sew but will try your way!
Marie @
In Our Happy Place