Monday, May 27, 2013

A Lesson In Patriotism

When Z was getting ready for his trip to NYC I looked at it as a learning opportunity. We went to the library and checked out everything we could find pertaining to New York City. One of the books we looked through reminded me of my old encyclopedia days. There I was sitting with my little 5 year old, eyes full of wonder imaging all the adventures to be had in his dream city. Then I read this sentence accompanied by photographs.


"Three of Manhattans most famous skyscrapers are the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, and the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center." 

I sat there speechless. He looked at me anticipating my next words and I looked down at him in his innocence, in his ignorance. I felt my heart sink and my stomach turn. I told him that the Twin Towers weren't there any more. He looked confused and asked why. I explained how some bad people attacked America and the destroyed the towers. His eyes were sincerely concerned and I talked him through some of the pain felt over the tragedy that happened 6 years before he was even born.

9/11 impacted all of us, but I felt a new layer of sorrow the day I had to explain the evil of those events to my child. But just like Mr. Roger's says



I was able to use it as an opportunity to teach him about the army. Three of my nephews serve in the military so we even had faces and names for these heroes. When I asked him  if he understood what the army was he said "something that protects us". I said that's right along with the police, firemen, teachers, parents, and more than all of that- God. 

Z went on to have a great time in New York City where the bigger and better world trade center is almost complete. 







Thank you to the men and women who have given their lives to protect our country. Thank you to all the veterans out there that have served, and for heroes that are serving now.
 Happy Memorial Day. 

2 comments:

nancy from ky said...

I'd never heard that quote from Mr. Rogers. Very inspiring for the mind and the heart.

{amy} said...

Gotta love Mr Rogers' perspective! I love how you made it such a great lesson for him.