Saturday, April 19, 2014

Kindergarten and Common Core

If you somehow stumbled upon this blog post looking for a deeper understanding of what Common Core is, I am not your gal. I still don't totally get it. I was told it was the new national content standards and not a curriculum, but it seems like there is curricula attached to these new content standards in some form or another. 

When I went to meet the teacher night at the beginning of the year I am pretty sure that Z's Kindergarten teacher talked about it, but I just remember her saying that they were going to be expecting a lot more this year and they would be packing a lot of information into a short amount of time. I personally was excited to hear that because I wanted Z to be challenged. 

I admit that I had some issues at the beginning of the year regarding Z being in Kindergarten instead of 1st grade, but now the school year is almost over and I haven't regretted the decision to place him public school at all. In fact, I have felt like he has had private school treatment. I won't go into all the details right now, but one reason I know that they have customized his assignments is because the first week I showed up for the parent orientation night they had these projects hanging in the hall and while all the other children dictated "David's instructions" Z wrote his out himself.  


It's hard to see because it's in pencil, but his is the 2nd down on the right column. At the beginning of the year Z was tested on some basic kindergarten skills and he exceeded the year-end goals in every area. Even then, he still has learned so much more than what he went in with! Here I was concerned that he would become stagnant or bored, and it turns out that I had nothing to worry about. When SJ is mainstreamed she will have an IEP which will include some pull-out sessions. So she need special attention as well, but in a completely different way. Needless to say I have a vested interest from both ends of the spectrum, believe me. 

As far as Common Core, I have heard a lot of controversy. I don't even watch the news, but it's kind of hard to avoid the viral math problems that have been circulating. Z's school had a seminar for parents to attend and learn more, but it was on a night that I could not come out. Fortunately they had a webinar later which included participation via live messages. I was impressed that the school would facilitate an option like this and I tuned in the entire time and I did ask a few questions. I still don't understand the ins outs of both view points regarding the political hot button, but it's boiled down to one thing for me, my children. When I see things like this on the internet I cringe. 


Then I read one article after the other of parents choosing to take their kids out of public school because they suddenly started doing poorly. If it was just here or there I wouldn't think anything of it, but there must be a legitimate cause if it is happening at an alarmingly increased rate across the nation.  

But at the end of the day my son is excelling and he has a very loving teacher that makes learning something to get excited about. I don't know what this means for each and every public school, but I don't have the energy to fight for the all of the students of the nation today. Although, I am grateful for those that do. I consider myself an involved parent that makes informed decisions to the best of my abilities and I have not seen any evidence of this controversy having a negative impact on my son's education so far. In fact I saw this homework assignment posted online under the title "Epic Fail- Parents Reveal Insane Common Core Worksheets" 


The complaint in this case was that common core homework makes it necessary to keep a supply of brass fasteners on hand. The funny thing is, my son had the exact same worksheet with a brass fastener taped to the front. People are circulating these so-called atrocities that really have more to do with individual teachers, schools, and even students, but not necessarily a reason for a revolt. I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with the system. I have seen red flags myself, but I am completely satisfied with how Z's school is handling everything at this point and I have been assured that they are using local curricula and teachers are teaching with the same liberties they have had. 

With that said, I am prepared to keep tabs on everything, but I am also pleased to announce that we have had a very successful first year. I am grateful that Z is getting started now because by the time he is doing some of those wacky math problems hopefully they will have worked out all of the kinks. Anyway, I know plenty of people that didn't have their child's first year go so smoothly so I consider myself very blessed to be in this place at this time. What a relief. 

1 comment:

{amy} said...

I've heard of Common Core, but haven't heard why people think it's bad. We always have drama about standardized testing here. I'm not sure what's so bad about that, either. I don't like when teachers only "teach to the test", but I understand that there should be some statewide or nationwide standards that each student should attain if they're all to be considered fairly when it comes to college. We just have to be as informed as we can be with each child in each situation and trust that God will make it clear where we're supposed to be. I'm glad things have worked out so well for Z this year!!