Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Taking Pictures Alone VS. Taking Pictures With Children

Getting a great photo of a your children is a feat in and of itself. Getting a photo with your children takes olympic level skills! I just finished having family photos done with me, my husband, and our three children. As a photographer that has been in this situation behind the lens countless times you would think I would have it all together, but it's different when it's your own family.

I remember the days when I would take selfies for my myspace (yeah, it was a long time ago). Or my husband would snap a photo of me in the park out on a date. 






Here was the scene-

I think this light and this background right here would be good for a photo. I think I'll stand here and hold this pose. Am I smiling too big or not big enough? Do you think this is my good side? Okay, eyebrows slightly raised, tummy sucked in, shoulders back, body tilted ever so slightly.

Then I look at the photo and see that my hair was sticking up in one place, or my shirt wasn't laying flat. Oh MY! Taking a good photo is hard work. Let's reshoot that again and again until I love the way I look.



Now let's look at yesterday's scene.



I think this light and this background is perfect, let's pray that our children will miraculously stand here and look in the same direction for 10 seconds so that we can take a photo.



Okay, guys we are going to stand right here. No? Okay, let's stand over here where baby Ezie is. No wait! Baby Ezie come back. Do you want to go on daddy's shoulders? But you love daddy's shoulders. Fine, let's all sit. On the count of three say "Chuck E. Cheeeese"  Keep your shirt down sweetie. HEY! Do not pull your sister's pony tail! Seriously, every one look at the camera. NO, don't point at it, just look. And smile. Not like that, that looks like the Joker. Come on!  Alright, where is your sister? I think we lost her. Oh, there she is running toward that poison ivy.  Stop! Stop now! Hold onto my hand. Is this everyone? How about standing by this tree stump here. Hello? Is there anyone in this family that knows what a tree stump is? Stop pushing. If you don't cut it out right now you might not see Mine Craft ever again! No. Don't cry. We want happy photos. Fine, who wants candy? How much candy is this going to take? Ewww, gross. What is that smell? I think someone stepped in dog poo. Let's check your shoes everyone. Bingo. Alright, try and wipe it off in the leaves over there. Goodness gracious! Moving on...



Not once did I ever think about my shoulders or my hair. There is no checking the preview to see how I look. No "place all your weight on your back foot" rule. Nope. If we have a photo of the 5 of us together where no one is crying or injuring someone then it's a keeper. You don't even have to have your eyes open. I went from having a 20 point checklist for how I looked in a photograph to just one qualification. Do I look sane? Even that is debatable. 

 


For the record out of probably 200 tries we were able to get one decent photo. 


It was sent out with our Christmas cards and after all that effort I can assure I will have it hanging on our wall. So if my family can do it, there is hope for everyone. Just say Chuck E. Cheese!!!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

O my goodness! I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying! I only have 1 baby, but I already am feeling your pain. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Thank you for sharing this!

TracyL26 said...

So true! With Caleb it was so easy to get a good family picture. Now with 3, we only do 10 minutes worth of picture taking, have grandparents to get smiles (hopefully) and candy for good behavior after we are done ;)

{amy} said...

Haha! It's funny how different things are with children!

Christine Leeb said...

This is great! My husband is a professional photographer so I could completely relate! HILARIOUS!!! Thanks for letting me in to this very comically written family photo session! Loved this!!!

Blessings-
Christine