Monday, September 8, 2014

The 7th Birthday

When we Z was 6 he learned to tie his shoes, snap, and he memorized the state capitols. But  it was a week ago just before he turned 7 that I understood just how much of a transformative year this has been. We were at one of Cincinnati's acclaimed chili parlors when when Z said "Mom I did it". "What did you do?" I asked him. "I asked that lady for more chocolate milk and she gave me some". I was really impressed and asked for his exact wording, he said "May I have more chocolate milk please". I smiled and praised him for his ability to take initiative independently and use manners. It was the first time he had ever asked for his own refill.

Now this wasn't one of those tangible milestones where you get an award or take photos. I didn't jump out of my seat to go give him a hug. It was just a subtle choice that really stood out to me. I didn't tell him he needed to handle his own refill. I didn't ridicule him for not speaking up as I am embarrassed to say that I have done in the past. I didn't coach him through any of it. He had a need and he took care of it. It's such a simple act, but so big. He is on his way to becoming a young man. It's like watching plants grow in a garden. You don't see them shoot up, but you know it's happening and suddenly it's blossomed. I can't put my finger on many measurable stats for Z from this past year, but I know a lot of change has taken place.

As far as the actual birthday, it was a winner.







I do what I call Theme Parties every other year so this year was an off year and we just met up with two other families at Chuck E. Cheese on Monday since it was a holiday. It was very low key, but he got a scooter and helmet which was his biggest surprise.

./,



On the actual birthday date he got to have his name on the intercom announcement at school. It was kind of funny because he asked me if I heard it (I was miles away at home during the announcements and he thought the news was broadcast throughout the city). It was also the same day as a cub scouts sign up meeting so J took Z and they signed up. Even though it was a last minute decision I think it will be a great program for Z to be a part of.

Friday was the school carnival which he has been more excited about then his actual birthday.

Lastly, he had his first pack meeting where they did a service act for the community by cleaning up the school grounds the morning after the carnival.



Followed by an outing at the lake where there was fishing and fun for all.



TIt was a typical week for us in a lot of ways, but it was Z's week and I am so glad. He deserved some special attention. He is my special boy.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the review of his last year. He's a great kid.

{amy} said...

It's crazy how they suddenly grow up like that! I'm glad Z had a great 7th birthday (week)!