Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Crafty Posse

I consider myself artsy, but not necessarily crafty. Although I always excelled in my art classes and even won awards, I distinctly remember a rare low score on a project that I did my freshman year. We had to create an intricate snowflake type design using an x-acto knife on some layers of white poster board. I don't remember my grade but I can still envision the words my teacher wrote in red pen with her beautiful cursive handwriting, "Poor Craftsmanship". Fortunately I am surrounded by people that have AMAZING skills in all areas of craftsmanship.

For starters, my mom works for Delta and the employees all dress up on Halloween day. Last year she decided to go to work as the Travelosity gnome. I figured since she had already created one gnome costume it should be easy enough to make one for SJ this year and the results were too cute for words!
and here is a little picture I created of SJ beside Juliet from the movie Gnomeo and Juliet


My mom ordered Z's Mr. Incredible costume on line, but it still had to be altered because it was too big. The mask didn't fit right either so we made a new one with left over material from "Julia's" dress along with a removable black bra strap. Thank goodness he's too young to be embarrassed by me!
and of course here is Z next Dash and the other Incredibles.



Along the lines of sewing and creating, SJ has been in desperate need of new hair clips because her hair is always in her face. Thank goodness for my two friends who volunteered to make some adorable bows for her! I even wore one and when my friend spotted it she said "That looks great. I think I might make some bows for myself". It might sound strange wearing a little girls hair accessory, but bows are hot right now, and besides it was a flower. Who knew I would start raiding my daughters closet so early on.
I don't have any close up photos of the bows, but they are all unique and super cute.

Lastly I told my husband that he never ceases to amaze and he begged to differ so I elaborated by saying your carpentry skills never cease to amaze me. When the coffee shop needed a stage and outdoor seating area for the art festival they had a non existent budget and very little time to work, but J took the bull by the horns and built these benches and chairs using entirely freecycled wood from Craig's list.


This idea was inspired by something he found on pinterest, (Yes, he has a pinterest, I don't. Yes, that is sad) but he designed and executed all of this from that genius mind of his, and I am wondering why I don't have some of this furniture in my yard! We are talking F-R-E-E here.

I have my own strengths don't get me wrong, but for all the crafty shortcomings I am thankful for an entourage of craftsmen by my side.


2 comments:

{amy} said...

I understand! I feel like I'm crafty to a degree. I see ideas & think I can do them, but I'm not always great at actually implementing them. And I very rarely come up with an idea of my own. I just copy other people's ideas mostly. J did an amazing job on the benches & chairs! I think it's hilarious that he has a pinterest, but you don't! :D

Daddy-O said...

I think your Photoshop skills are pretty crafty. :-)