Tuesday, August 7, 2012

CFA and My Two Cen


I know everyone is sick of hearing about Chic-Fil-A and it’s old news by now, but in the spirit of freedom I wanted to just share my take on it. I have been a patron of Chic-Fil-A for a long time and haven’t been afraid to blog about it, so why stop now? 

First of all, let me explain why this is an issue that affects everyone and why it is in fact a big deal that is worthy of waiting in line 3 hours just for a chicken sandwich. It mainly started when the owner of Chic-Fil-A made a statement to the Baptist Press involving his views on the Biblical principals of marriage, this not only included marriage between a man a woman, but also marriage that is a lifelong monogamous relationship. Apparently his beliefs went viral and the media began to really blow things up. Certain politicians were working towards banning the establishment in their cities (Boston and Chicago). This a problem. Governmental ramifications disputing free speech is completely unconstitutional, and you may or may not agree with the owner of Chic-Fil-A, but if you were ostracized for saying how you feel about an issue then you probably would see this as a matter worth fighting for. Hunger Games anyone? I remember several years ago a similar issue irrupted with the Dixie Chicks. In the end they posed nude on the cover of Entertainment Weekly covered with words about the freedom of speech controversy and the next thing you know it was history. I don’t think that the nude idea would work out so well for the Chic-Fil-A owner, but I’m hoping that people will look at the public statement that was posted by Chic-Fil-A representatives and quit labeling them and other Christians as hateful. 
Lastly, I just want to address this little image that has been circulating on the internet. I've read some very hurtful comments about the people that chose to "waste" hours of their day on this cause and this is my response.
First of all there are millions of christians that are serving at food banks and homeless shelters all over the world. I could name off a hundred individuals that I know personally and I’ve read about and support countless other ministries. The difference is they are not all lining up at one place for one day only. In fact the Bible specifically address this issue in Matthew 6:3, by stating that when you give to the needy you should not let your left hand know what your left hand is doing. In other words we are to give and serve quietly and with humility. If everyone lined up on the same day (as they did August 1st) to serve at a soup kitchen it might be newsworthy sure, but it would be stupid and pointless. So that is why I think this whole statement might be clever and hopefully inspires people to do more, but other than that it’s comparing apples and oranges and mostly just another attempt to negate the stand these people were making about the freedom of religion and speech. I can just about guarantee you that if you added up all of the food donations from  the lovely people that posted the above photo it would be no where near the amount of food that Chic Fil A has donated throughout the years. They are one of the most benevolent companies you will have the pleasure of supporting. I've seen it first hand every time they have donated sandwiches to our church's ministry to the homeless. 
Sorry to rant. I just think freedom of speech and religion is something worth fighting for. My children may not remember this historic event, but they will be able to reap the benefits of it.  

3 comments:

{amy} said...

Good observations! The whole thing was so surprising to me, because it's not like their beliefs have been a secret up to this point!

Donna said...

This is not about what someone "said" but what they did. I agree that the owner has the right to say whatever he wants and I have known his views for a long time but didn't feel like a hypocrite when I continued to LOVE the Chik-fil-A sandwich and diet lemonade (can anyone say "addicted"!!). However, my conscience started to bother me when I found out that the money I used to buy those fabulous meals went, in part, to anti-gay/transform gays to straights therapy groups. I just cannot support this kind of thing so have stopped eating Chik-fil-A. THe people who posted that picture with the slam on Christians are plain stupid and I would not want to be associated with them!

Zion said...

Thank you for your comments and honesty. I have thought about what I said since yesterday and I shouldn't have claimed that I can pretty much guarantee that chic-fil-a has donated more food than all of the people that posted that picture. It's probably true because I know for a fact that they donate food that benefits the homeless and the needy. However, I don't know about what all of those other people have done to contribute and I shouldn't make claims about things I don't know for a fact. That's part of the problem with this whole fiasco.