Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tomorrow I Am Going To Stop Procrastinating

My friend used to have this sign in her room.


When I was looking for the above image online I found this next one, which says it all.


The reason I am talking about procrastination is because I am starting Fly Lady again. I have been putting it off, but now I am ready. If you aren't familiar with Fly Lady think of it as Weight Watchers, but for house keeping. I have done it some in the past, but this time there is a chance that maybe I just might be really serious about it, I think


The apartment we are in is about 800 square feet. That's half the size of our old house, so that means half the cleaning. This should be easy right? Well, there are advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is that there aren't as many places to keep things, which makes organization more challenging. That is why I am super committed to getting on a schedule and being more structured than ever, because there isn't much wiggle room around here. Being a little laid back about cleaning could turn into a big head ache fast. So I am turning to Fly Lady to keep me straight. I hope it works. So far (as in yesterday) it's going well.
I was vacuuming one night and SJ went and got the dust buster out. She followed me around everywhere (and it's a real vacuum so she was actually being productive). It was adorable and J took a couple snapshots on his phone. 

The program has come a long way since I first read the book Side Track Home Executives back in the dark ages. Now you can sync all of the Fly Lady routines with your iCal and Cozi app ( I am an avid Cozi user thanks to a comment left by one of my readers.) So I've got an online system that is compatible with all of my other digital calendars, which makes me very happy, and nerdy, but it doesn't matter. Anyway, here is what Fly Lady had to say about this week's zone which is the master bedroom 


"Your bedroom should be the cleanest room in your home. Many of you still use yours as a garbage/clutter disposal for the rest of the house. If your bedroom is clean and clutter free, then it becomes an inviting haven for building your relationship with your spouse..."

When I read that it was like I had just realized my shirt had been on backwards for the past 13 years. I know my bedroom should be clean, but the truth is, my last house was a long ranch style home with the master in the back. My mindset was to clean front to back. If we ever had company obviously the most important areas to have clean were the places people would see. Reading this made me think about things differently. Even on a deeper level. We all air out our dirty laundry with the people we love the most and I think it's good that we can be real. I also think sometimes when we put our best foot forward for our "guests" we put our family at the bottom of the priority list and they get our exhausted ugly left overs. That's a shame. So I am committing to making the master bedroom the cleanest room in the home.  I want this to be a reflection to my husband of just how much of a priority our relationship is to me. 

Time to get back to my routine. 

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm intrigued by cleaning schedules/routines, but I don't think I could ever stick to it. I tend to be erratic with cleaning, but in a very OCD way. Like, if I notice a room is dirty I have to clean it right that minute, not wait for whenever I'm scheduled to clean it. I'll be interested to see how it works for you, and if it really makes things easier/cleaner.

TracyL26 said...

Your post made me tidy up our bedroom :). Looking forward to cleaning with you!

{amy} said...

I've used FlyLady off & on. And you're right, it has come a loooong way since the SHE book! I still have my cards from that, and I go back to them every once in awhile. I am SO not motivated, though, and I'm bad about letting the kids' chores suffice for the majority of the "cleaning" that gets done. They're 12 & 14, so I use that word loosely... ;)

{amy} said...

P.S. I'm glad you like Cozi! :)