Sunday, May 4, 2014

More Than Words Can Say

*This was originally written over a year ago. Sometimes I just need to write even if I keep it to myself, but today, on the 2nd anniversary of her diagnosis, I am ready to share.*



In the world of hearing loss I feel like the label "Late Identified" is a big red stamp across my daughter's forehead. These days most deaf children are diagnosed through a brief newborn hearing screening before they even leave the hospital. Since SJ wasn't born at the hospital we never had any testing done until she was over two years old. 

SJ at two years old, a month after she was diagnosed.

SJ's birth was perfect. It was hands down one of the most amazing, beautiful, and spiritual moments of my life, but if I could change the past then I would have had a screening test done after the home birth.


The first seconds of SJ's life!

 As with any treatment plan, like with cancer or autism, the earlier you can diagnose and intervene, the better. There are so many benefits to getting started at a young age when it comes to language, and we lost two years of valuable time. However, having those years of not knowing did have some benefits. 


When I blogged for the first time about SJ's hearing, Amanda (from Oh Amanda) left me a link to a woman she called her hero. That woman was Rachel Coleman of Signing Time. I read her story, got several of her videos, and she soon became my hero as well. Her daughter Leah was also late identified because the hospital had taken a break from newborn screenings for a brief time before they became mandatory and that was when Leah was born. Here is what Rachel said about her daughter being late identified.

 "Was it meant to be? I don’t know. I wonder how over-protective and lame I would have been if they had handed me my newborn baby and said, by the way she’s profoundly deaf. Looking back I can see the blessing it was that we got to know Leah for her first year with the complete expectation that she could do anything, she was limitless. When we did hear her diagnosis “severe to profound hearing impairment” when she was 14 months old, we mourned. We cried. We felt silly. We couldn’t believe it. We thought there was a mistake. We hoped it would go away. We felt all of that and more at once! Finally we looked at Leah and she was still her happy beautiful self. And we recognized that for Leah nothing had changed. Nothing was wrong."

Boy do I relate to that! When we first came to SJ's school, one of the advisers had commended me on how well I’ve done at communicating with SJ despite her hearing loss. She told me that many parents have a hard time just talking with their deaf children and unknowingly tend to turn their conversation toward someone that is listening to them. I'd like to take credit for being so loving, but I didn't know she was deaf.



 Another therapist was astounded by SJ's cognitive abilities and said she had never worked with a deaf child potty trained at such a young age. I'd like to take credit for that too, but once again I didn't realize I was potty training a deaf child (and besides that she initiated it). For over two years I treated her like any other baby/toddler. We didn't fret. We weren't trying to protect her. We weren't taking action. We just loved her as she was, and in the mean time she loved us back and proved to be a very capable, thriving, joyous little lady. 


I know now more than ever how vital communication and language is. However, in those years we "lost" by not starting therapy or using hearing devices we also gained a lot and I learned a valuable lesson. She understood me. She may not have understood my words, but our love transcended all of that. Our hearts spoke to one another. I have always told my kids that I love them more than words can say and for SJ I've lived that truth. 

10 comments:

susan said...

Well you I didnt have a tissue handy, but I needed one! Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Like you I also didn't know my daughter was Deaf until she was 2. She is now a senior in high school. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hannah L. said...

oh my gosh, that was so beautiful! I'm so glad you shared it! I think there can be SUCH a stigma on any child that isn't perfectly average or "normal", for whatever reason, and to love them right where they are, for who they are, is so important, especially as you, the parent, are trying to weed through what needs to change for them, etc.

ohAmanda said...

Natalie: this is so gorgeous! I wish I had something else profound to add--but there's nothing to add. I just love how love can speak and be heard--always heard!

Love you!
a

rbcollicott said...

Natalie, thanks for sharing. We have loved watching the wonderful progress of Sedona, thru your blog and on FB. I am confident there are many wonderful things ahead for SJ.

{amy} said...

I hadn't thought before about how your experience has differed from those who knew of their child's diagnosis at birth. You didn't treat her any differently than you have treated your boys, which is wonderful. I'm sure there would have been some coddling (or something) had you known she was deaf, but that was obviously not how her story was supposed to be. How beautiful that God worked it out to be this way. I love that she understood your love without words!

Bill and Shelly said...

Even though we knew that Allison was deaf when she left the hospital after being there for 9 weeks, she didn't have her 1st CI operation until she was just over 2 years of age, for whatever reason back then they didn't implant kids until they were 2, now we know better. Implant early. As you can see from my latest post, being implanted at 2 didn't stop Allison. Enjoy the journey you are on now.

Alesha said...

Wow. Love this post and the sweet perspective you have gained with time.
Alesha <3

Tara Ulrich said...

SJ is a beautiful little girl. Amazing how much she picked up (the potty training etc) when you didn't even know yet that she couldnt hear. She was the same little girl she always had been...oh how true. Yet I am sure it was hard to hear the diagnosis. Thanks for sharing your story! SJ is one lucky girl to have you as her momma!

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful story. Imagine the legacy you've created for your little girl by treating her as completely equal to your other kids. Being deaf wasn't a barrier. Yes, she's very young, but I think that will carry on. All because of a late diagnosis. Praise the Lord you have answers now, but also praise Him for the time you spent (and will spend) as a normal family!