Sunday, January 11, 2015

Last Year's Books

 I'll admit that more times that not I fall short when it comes to accomplishing what I set out to do at the beginning of the year. On the other hand there are some really significant changes that I have made amongst all of those New Year's resolutions. For example, for several years I had "read" (or read more, or read x amount of books etc.) as one of my resolutions. I just wanted to get into the pattern of reading, but it was often easier said than done. This is one of the first years I did not add reading to my list because I feel like I now have successfully made a habit out of it.

In all of the reading I have done this past year I haven't blogged much about any of the books other than the parenting ones that were a part of my 31 day series. This week I want to change that and actually discuss some of my thoughts on certain books. Now. I am no critique, so don't expect something too polished or professional. I often read these eloquently delivered reviews that are as thoughtfully written as the novels themselves. Not going to happen here.

One thing I do feel like I can offer that you may not find elsewhere is the rating for how clean the content is. I hate looking for a new book only to have a bunch of foul language and smutty content crammed into every other page. The only way I have really seen to get around this is when someone I know has already read the book. So, maybe I can be that someone for you. Or maybe you could be that someone for me! Please let me know what you are reading or plan on reading this year. Or feel free to suggest all time favorites. Even though I tend to lean toward non fiction I have ventured out a bit recently and I welcome any suggestions.

Here are the 10 I will be touching on over the next few days-

1. A year without sugar  



2. The fault in our stars 



3. Divergent 



4. Glitter and glue



5. Unbroken

























6. Bossy pants 



7. The Time Traveler's Wife



8. Seven




9. Call the Midwife Shadows of the Workhouse 



10. Surprised By Motherhood 




Tomorrow I'll dive into what I thought about these books, but now it's your turn.

I REALLY wants some ideas about what to read for 2015. Let's Go!

8 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I'm horrible with book reading! It's the one area that I definitely seem to just slack on, not because I don't want to read but because I'm always on the computer or reading blogs ;-). I would love to check out Surprised By Motherhood though and just ordered Unglued - baby steps in 2015 for me ;)

Unknown said...

I read 7, and surprised by motherhood last year and am half way through Unbroken. I think I might have to add some of your books to my list for this year. I loved Surprised by Motherhood.

Anonymous said...

I have read a lot of those books. I just finished There Is No Me Without You - highly recommend.
My favorite might have been Boys in the Boat and Unbroken
Head over to my book blog and see what I've read - the post will lead you in the right direction - I've read many and loved many.
http://100bookengagement.blogspot.com

blestbutstrest said...

Oh, it's dangerous to get me started! What genre do you enjoy? If you like inspirational historical romance, try anything by Melanie Dickerson, Karen Witemeyer, or Deeann Gist. If you like inspirational suspense, try anything by Steven James, Ronnie Kendig or Irene Hannon. 1491 is also a good book (investigative history), as is Freakanomics. If you like old-fashioned stories, the What Katy Did series is mostly free on Kindle (and I loved them), as are most books by Lucy Maude Montgomery and Jane Austen. Oh, if you like Jane Austen, you might like the Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian, Jane Austen Ruined my life is also a good book...I could go on...just give me a category and I could give you some titles ;). I even read a Star Wars written as Shakespeare....

Melanie said...

Oh how I love a good book post! Some of these I've read and others are on my "to-read" list. Looking forward to your thoughts on them.

Here's a list I did awhile ago. See what you think!

http://musingsandmeanderings-mlp.blogspot.com/2013/11/books-you-need-to-read.html

Tara Ulrich said...

What a great list! I love to read! I have read Bossy Pants and loved it. I also have read the Fault in Our Stars. Over Christmas break I saw the movie Unbroken and am now chomping at the bit to read the book. So one of my all time favorite books is called "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" and is written by Allison Arnigrim who played Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prayer. It is all about growing up on the set with Melissa Gilbert etc. It had me rolling on the floor laughing at times and at other times crying. I hope you love it as much as I did!

Bethany Boring said...

You reminded me of something...I need to post more about the books I've read! Funny...I'm not sure why I never thought about that until reading your post! Great books too...I love listening to the audiobooks through my blutooth device when I run...it makes my 7 mile runs SO much more fun (yes...FUN!).

{amy} said...

I love the idea of the cleanliness content! I look forward to reading your reviews. I haven't read much lately, but I used to read ALL the time. I may have to read some of the ones you post about that aren't smutty! :)