Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The First Week

When I envisioned myself moving to Kentucky, thinking this is for real, you will no longer be in the place you lived for half of your life, I panicked and worried that I would literary start flopping around like a fish out of water. So I took a deep breath and decided to call the first week vacation and ease into it. We've been living with my parents for about a week now, but with little attention to setting up a routine or unpacking our boxes. In fact, I am practicing an art that J and I have accidentally become estranged to. It's called relaxation. I am making it a goal to put more useless activities in my life.

I know that sounds crazy, but in preparing for this move, while being a part time working mom, I have had absolutely no time for anything other than the productive. That means I don't read, I don't twitter, go to the movies, and I do not play games on my phone. That's why since we've moved I got the Emoji app (totally impractical and makes me feel like a 12 year old. I love them). I finally bit the bullet and got a Pinterest too. I play Scramble with friends several times a day. As often as anyone is willing to challenge me. And yesterday I went on a date with J for the first time in months.

Even though our little vacation transition is coming to a close, hopefully the idea of taking time to unwind will not. This shouldn't be too difficult since we are living in one of the smallest towns in Kentucky with less than 1,000 people. The slogan on their website boasts in bold letters Life in the SLOW Lane.

It's definitely a change of pace, but in the chaos of the past month I feel like I've aged a decade. An army of wrinkles are proudly making their way across my forehead which was never an issue before, and everyone is begging me to put some meat on my bones. Let's just say I'm not at my best. So I'm sure slowing down a little bit won't do me any harm. Time for a little R&R. Time toenjoy snowball fights with my kids,
It snowed a little yesterday and is supposed to again this weekend!

Turkish coffee with my parents,
A delicacy they picked up from one of their foreign exchange students



and Scramble with my friends.

.
I usually get kicked in the pants, so I have to get a screen shot when I win.

Time for life in the slow lane.

3 comments:

Marlene Magee said...

Well I am happy your frist week went well. I pray things keep looking better

{amy} said...

I'm glad you've had the chance to ease into it! If you discover how to put meat on your bones, please fill me in!

Lasso the Moon said...

Time to unwind sounds wonderful! (And maybe a little unnerving.) Life in the slow lane. I think I'd like that.
Anna