Saturday, February 9, 2013

Home Away From Homeschool

Yesterday I talked about redshirting and one of the articles that I read on the topic asked this question

1. First and foremost, you must answer this: If you hold your child back, what will he do during this time of rapid growth and learning? You cannot redshirt the brain. If not formal kindergarten, what do you intend to do for him that will inspire, excite, and motivate him during this time of rapid growth and learning?


That's a great question. Since we have to hang out at SJ's school all day long I want to do all I can to implement a homeschool curriculum of our own. I just so happen to be buddy buddy with some of what I consider to be the best homeschooling moms around. Naturally I hit up these resources for a little advice. I asked three different moms a series of homeschooling questions. They have 13 boys between them and each of them have been home schooled. First of all out of the three moms that I emailed none of them typed an answer back. They did even better, one wanted to answer my questions via phone conversation, another through Skype, and the other one is local so we talked in person. It just goes to show how the teacher in each of them that wanted to be thorough about helping me learn. Ah, I love it!  

The exciting thing about Z's age (5 1/2) and homeschooling is that it's not about flash cards and drills, but rather fostering the curiosity that is already there and doing it in a relaxed way. Focusing on activities like cooking, gardening, or nature walks. Some of the best advice I've heard was to 'Read, play, go places and talk the whole time you are doing it'. Read out loud while nursing the baby. Read the same book 5 times and talk about a different subject each day that you read it. Have books in the car for that hour long drive. Everyday you read to him and he reads to you. What was the underlying theme I was hearing over and over from multiple people? READ! 

That's what I've learned from the experts. Now all that's left to do is implement it.  My plan is spend the 7 hours we have to kill each day by dividing it between games, puzzles, movies, books, quiet time, play dates, active playtime and there will even be a little bit of formal teaching thrown in there each day. 

I've enjoyed this opportunity to learn about homeschool curriculums and ideas. Even though I plan on putting our children in public schools eventually, I hope that I will always have a hands on active roll in my children's educations. I look forward to the days ahead with all there is to learn together and teach each other. 


3 comments:

{amy} said...

It sounds like you have a great plan for keeping his mind busy during this time!

Kristina said...

My Mom used to play children's audiobooks and storytellers during car rides when we were little. At home we would re-tell the stories in the same dramatic or singsong ways. It was always fun, and it has actually come in handy with every job I have had working with children! Plus, my brother and I still enjoy listening to audiobooks. So, in addition to having regular books in the car you might want to try some audiobooks, too. I know my library has some sets of picture books and their audio CD. Anyways, I think you guys will have such a fun time, and it will certainly prepare him for his school years!

Zion said...

Kristina that never even occurred to me, but we do have one series already and I am definitely going to incorporate it. Thanks!