Saturday, February 2, 2013

Jenga

Jenga! Have you ever played this game? You've got a stack of rectangular blocks and you take turns trying to remove a block from the stack and balance it on top without having it fall over. 
That is what my life feels like right now.

We just finished our first full week of this new routine. We live in Northern Kentucky now and travel 45 minutes north for SJ's school in Ohio 5 days a week. We also have appointments in Louisville that we have to travel an hour south for. I think I am starting to get a grasp on how to get around this area. I've also managed to get the kids to bed and out the door on time everyday. All things considered it's been an extremely smooth transition, but there have been days I've feel like I'm done. It's my turn and every block I reach for is the one that will send the Jenga tower tumbling to the ground.

I'm trying to remember to take it a day at a time. I'll admit though, I am exhausted. I feel it when I've made my 3rd lap around the new Kroger trying to figure out where the throat coat tea is located. Or when one more person mentions how I have my hands full and I tell myself not to scowl because they don't realize that I've been told that by three other people that day. And sometimes I just cry or I take it out on my poor husband. I get depressed and want to quit. I feel selfish even admitting this. Yeah we have a lot on our plate, but we have so much to be thankful for. I think I am just in transition shock right now.

There have been some really challenging fights I've faced lately with bills and red tape  and children's behavior issues. There are times I have wanted to get online and emotionally vomit all over my blog. I know that analogy is really appealing, and goes to show how grateful I am that I have used some restraint. However, I think it's good to be a bit transparent from time to time. I am admitting that I am overwhelmed. I am confident that the Lord is faithful as always and we will get through this season. I need to read over the verses that everyone submitted because this is exactly why I asked for them and they are so good. Like this one Amy sent really applies to all I am feeling right now!  "When anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul." (Psalm 94:19)

So for all of the mom's out there that wonder how other moms have it all together and take on all of life's hurdles without breaking a sweat, don't worry, I for one am a big sweaty mess.  


5 comments:

TracyL26 said...

Bless your heart! I have NO IDEA how you do it! Manage 3 kids while moving to a new city and trying to find the best education possible for SJ. You can cry and scowl all you want. In fact, the next person who says "You have your hands full" reply "Yes I do, would you like to take one?" I've said that a couple of times to people ... no one has ever taken me up on the offer ;)

Unknown said...

I'm a mess too--and SO thankful God's grace is deeper than the ocean. Full hands are evidence God has blessed you. The kids are some of the"good works" prepared in advance for you- Ephesians 2:10 :)

{amy} said...

So many of those moms who seem to have it all together are a sweaty mess as well! I appreciate you being real. & I completely understand your vomiting analogy, because I feel like I do that sometimes! ;) I have kept your comment in my inbox so that I'll remember to keep you in my prayers! <3

Unknown said...

Oh, honey! I am right there with you, so to speak :) You are just keeping it real!

Rachel Moss said...

I know we have very different circumstances, but I can completely relate to the Jenga analogy. That's what I feel like every single weekday. If I miss one piece of my "must do" list everything seems to fall apart.
Once Friday rolls around I'm able to stop and catch my breath for a moment...and then I start piling up my blocks for a new game of Jenga!