Friday, April 26, 2013

He Said I Have The Best Looking Eyes

It was one of those mornings. Again. SJ did not want to put clothes on and naked students are frowned upon at her school. I couldn't find any quick grab breakfast items so the kids had to share a granola bar to which Z insisted on picking out the parts he didn't like. It took at least 5 trips from the house to the car before I had everyone and everything packed up and ready to go. 

While we were in the car I realized SJ's headband was not clipped to her hair. She wears headbands to keep her cochlear implants on and if they aren't clipped it slides off pretty easily.


No I did not take a picture in the middle of the craziness, this is from another day. 

Oh dear. Where is a barrette? Please tell me there is a barrette in this car! I shouted out loud. When I became a mom I stopped talking to myself and started sputtering words to my kids. It's the same thing really.

I did in fact find a barrette and we were on our way! I don't love driving 45 minutes to school everyday, but it gives me a chance to sit down and stay put, and the kids are forced to do the same, so that part is nice.

"Mom," Z said, "You have the best looking eyes."

Wow. I thought I didn't hear him right so I asked what he said, and he repeated himself. It's almost like he had read my thoughts, or my blog post from yesterday, about how women want to feel beautiful. I was reminded of the time he told me I smelled like a princess. My love language is words of affirmation and this boy knows how to speak my language. I told him Thank you and that it was a very sweet compliment that meant a lot to me. Then Z said "sometimes I have the best looking eyes, but today it was you." I was a little confused by what he meant, but I am glad he likes his eyes. He continued on "Because you were the one that found SJ's hair barrette! Good job, mom."

I think I could have laughed the rest of the way to school. I have the best LOOKING eyes, because my eyes are so good at looking and finding things. Of course.

I still take it as a compliment.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Haha that's really cute. Yikes, 45 minutes to school is long! Good down time though.

Unknown said...

How observant of Z! (And you DO have the "best looking" eyes, too. :)

elissa said...

So funny!
My special nine year old was having a screaming meltdown in the car on the way home from school, and about halfway home he stops screaming in order to tell me that I was a good mom.
Then he resumed screaming.
We take what we can get, right?

TracyL26 said...

:). That made me smile ... Especially since it is something Caleb would say as well ;). I agree with Elissa, I take what I can get compliment-wise ;)

{amy} said...

Ha ha! It's still a compliment, even if he meant it a different way than you interpreted it at first! :) Too cute!