Sunday, February 22, 2015

My Little Girl's Birthday Parties

SJ's birthday is two weeks away and I am in full blown party mode. When I get going with party planning you have to use the emergency brakes just to get me to stop talking about cake and decorations.

 The theme this year is Tea Party. There maybe a sneak peak coming soon to share a little bit of what I am dreaming up, but until then let's look back at some of SJ's other parties.

I never would have thought of myself as "That Mom". The big pinterest party type. But for the record, half of my children's theme parties where pinned onto pinterest long before I had an account or even knew it existed. I just enjoy celebrating and creating, so birthday parties allow me to do both.

SJ's first birthday was a cupcake theme



You have to visit the link to get the full effect with some close up photos, but thanks to my BFF who is a professional baker we had 70 GORGEOUS cupcakes that tasted insanely delicious. I want to recreate this for my birthday! Anyway, when I was pregnant with SJ we had announced to the entire church that we were having a girl by bringing pink cupcakes to a fellowship dinner. So that is what inspired this party.

The following year I was all pinked out, so I went a completely opposite direction with this Green Eggs and Ham party.



 This is my second most popular party on the pinterest circuit.  Again, you have to see the original post, but there are so many fun tiny details like green deviled eggs and green beverages. It was such an awesome party.


Then last year we went with a donut theme. I don't know why all the themes are food related, but HEY it works. 


Click the link to see the incredible brunch spread with donut hole fruit kabobs, and a SJ's adorable donut invitations. SJ's offscreen name is Sedona and when she was just a tiny baby her two year old brother thought her name was donut. Sometimes we still call her our little donut so that is where the inspiration for her 4th birthday party came from.

Besides each party being food related there was also a bit of a book theme.

For the 1st birthday we gave her "If You Give a Cat a Cupcake



Then her 2nd birthday the book was "Green Eggs and Ham" of course.



 And lastly the 4th party was "If You Give a Dog a Donut



So this year I need to find a Tea Party Children's Book. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I am so excited for the whimsical tea party that is just around the corner. It's going to be in our teeny tiny apartment this year so that will be a challenge, but I've got some tricks up my sleeve. I think SJ and her guests will be delighted!

12 comments:

Kristina said...

Too cute! Hattie Hippo is a sweet little book. It has a handful of little rhymes/stories and one is about a tea party. Check it out from the library and see if you like it. Fancy Nancy has some with tea parties. So many options!

Zion said...

Kristina, thank you SO much for those two suggestions. I looked them up and there were three that I loved, but the Fancy Nancy Tea Parties, which I previewed on Amazon, has a spot in the front that says "This Book Belongs to ________ Hostess extrodinair" and I just fell in love with that, because every birthday I write a message in the front.

sarah may said...

Fancy Nancy!!

sarah may said...

Fancy Nancy!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

We love Ava's Secret Tea Party, Olivia Plans a Tea Party and Fancy Nancy! I also adore your parties and the theme/book combo idea. Like you, I love party planning and sharing that special day with friends and family. Over the years we've done Elmo, Frozen, Jungle, Dolly Party, Pink Poodle, Beanie Boo, Owls and Garden/Flowers for our themes. I love coming up with the ideas and decorations, it's SO much fun! Can't wait to see your sneak peaks. The past parties? Absolutely adorable!

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

SO MUCH FUN!!! Gah... I LOVED throwing themed parties for my girlie! When she hit around 15 or 16 she wanted nothing to do with themes any more. I think I mourned a bit with that! I am right now in the throws of planning a baby shower for my girlies bff... and yes, I have a theme... and yes I am going 'overboard' as my Honey lovingly tells me! But, like you, I LOVE it!!!

{amy} said...

I think I've said this before, but I miss throwing theme parties! Like you, I always did most of it myself and in a tight budget, but the kids loved them! Please tell me you're having scones at the tea party!! I have Sally's blueberry scone recipe if you'd like it. I know you can find recipes online, but this one is legit! I wrote it down while she was visiting from England one time. She would weigh each ingredient out, then I would dump it in a measuring cup to write it in our measurements instead of ounces. :)

Tara Ulrich said...

Love the different theme ideas!! My friend Mark would love that donut themed party. For a book, I can't help but think of "Alice in Wonderland." But that's prob way too old for her.

Unknown said...

A tea party sounds like fun. I am planning on doing a Car's theme for my son's 2nd birthday and I am excited about doing a themed party. Last year we just had a cake and friends over. So this year will be different. I'm going to have to come back someday and check out all your parties if I ever have a girl, but the Green Eggs and Ham would probably work for a boy too. :)

Jen Price said...

Love it! So glad there's someone like me out there! I can't wait to see this year's party! I see someone else already mentioned this but yes, Fancy Nancy has some tea party books. My Emma loved those books! Have SO much fun with your planning!

Zion said...

Amanda, It's funny you mention that because with I put "My Little Girl's Birthday" in the title I thought about the Green Eggs and Ham one, because that is definitely gender neutral. In fact I think boys gravitate to it more than girls because it's kind of icky (green eggs... ew gross!) and the characters in the book are boys. I can't wait to see how the Cars party turns out! Sounds like fun.

Tobi@simplyjesusministries.com said...

So much fun, and I love that they are all somehow related to a children's book and of course food is always fun and yummy!