Monday, October 7, 2013

How We Put Hardwood Over Carpet

Back in June I did a blog post titled "Apartment Hunters" where I did an HGTV style review of each of the apartments we looked at. Our first choice was the one with the hardwood floors. Not just because they are cute and stylish, but because the messy mom has three very messy kids and I know carpet wouldn't stand a chance with us.



In the end though we were not able to get our first choice apartment, but it's okay because our second choice was actually a little bit more spacious believe it or not. Playing the hand we were dealt we were determined to make this space work for us. We signed a lease on a carpeted apartment and that was that. Except, when my husband has his mind set on something you can't hold him back.


J making a digital floor plan on in the carpeted apartment when we first signed. 

A little research, some grunt work, and BAM!


We now have laminate wood flooring in the living area of the apartment. How did we do it!?

Well, first of all we talked to our Land Lords before we started and assured them nothing permanent was taking place and they've seen it, so we're good. We didn't "install" anything, we just more or less laid a floor on top of a floor. We found the hardwood for our space from Lumber Liquidators and it was 39 cents a square foot. If you keep your eye on it you can find deals like that frequently.

 I'll tell you right now, it didn't all go as planned. If you have a low profile carpet such as berber you can lay the laminate flooring right on top. If you have a higher profile carpet that is plush and padded (like we do) you need to lay a solid surface down to make it firm. We learned this the hard way.



After J spent a full day and a sleepless night measuring, cutting, and laying the floor down it ended up being way too "spongy" because of the carpeting. It felt like walking in a bounce house or something and J was worried that it would put too much stress on the flooring and cause the joints to snap. So we pulled it all up and put down a particle board plywood called OSB, which J got from Home Depot for about $6 a sheet. Then we relaid all the flooring.



The next issue was making the sure the floor wasn't too high or else the front door wouldn't be able to open. So we left more relief in that area, by spacing our plywood strategically to have more give in certain areas.



 I wasn't planning on a full blown tutorial for this so I didn't take many pictures of the process, but here is a picture that shows the three types of flooring.



More importantly here is the video that J went off of for this little home improvement. This tutorial is great if you have a firmer floor to begin with, if not then take my advice and add the extra step of laying down something like OSB.



If I would have been stuck with the light colored carpet in the dining area, I would have made it work because that's my life's theme right now (make it work), but having this wipeable surface is just one less thing for me to worry about. I am extremely grateful and I've been very happy with the results.

18 comments:

Shay said...

Very cool! We are renting a place with white tile floors and a chocolate lab. We sweep a lot. I can only imagine if it was carpet and babies instead of tile and dogs. So glad you were able to find a temporary solution that works for y'all! Plus, it looks great.

Unknown said...

That is an awesome idea!! I love the floor color!

{amy} said...

Wow!! It looks amazing!!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm amazed! I had no idea you could do that! Definitely something for us to think about :)

Jenna said...

That is sooooo cool!

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea! Can you take the flooring with you when you leave? I mean, if you wanted to?

TracyL26 said...

Amazingly talented husband :)

Zion said...

Growingupgillian- Yes. We would have to take it with us or throw it away. It's kind of like how we are allowed to paint, but we have to return the walls to their neutral tones before we leave. Since the wood is custom cut, I don't know how much of it would fit the right way in another room, but it's a possibility!

Catherine Denton said...

What a genius idea! Thanks for passing it on. I don't see a link for the video tutorial, though. Maybe I missed it.

Catherine Denton said...

What a genius idea! Thanks for passing it on. I don't see a link for the video tutorial, though. Maybe I missed it.

Zion said...

Catherine. AHHHH! Sorry about that. It some how got deleted! I think I was moving thing around before I published it. Anyway, it's there now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Unknown said...

Very cool stuff. Is it strong enough to hold if used as dancing floor. Im planning to do something like this.

If you can share. how much is the total project costed

Zion said...

Hi this is Natalie from www.messymom.com. I got your questions about putting hardwood over laminate. After 2 years of some very active kids living on it, it has held up decent. The important part is to make sure you have that plywood underneath because if not the floor will flex too much. Even with that we still have some boards that have started to peel up. That's why I am not sure if a dance floor would work or not. I also don't know the final cost of the project. I hope that helps a little.

Anonymous said...

Have you (or another reader) yet experienced the moving-out process? Did it end up being damage-free for the carpet underneath after removing?

Zion said...

We haven't moved out yet, so I can't specifically say for sure that there is no damage whatsoever. From what I can see underneath (in the area that is closest to the hallway where the hardwood ends) it looks fine. We didn't use any nails, even if something spilled on it it would not go through. At this point it has protected the carpet and it looks better than it does in the rest of the apartment.

Anonymous said...

how long did it take?

Zion said...

For cutting and installing it took about 8 hours.

Kent Clark said...

I'm quite impressed at how great that it looks. These kind of projects can take some time, and even then, they don't always look great. However, it appears that your husband is quite the handyman! I would have been tempted to just tear up the floor. That seems like it would have been easier. But, if you can do it this way, then good for you! http://naplesflooringgallery.com/