Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Kitchen Expansion

The rest of the series can be found here.


Before we moved into our apartment J was hard at work, along with the help of my sister in law and brother who also graciously allowed us to use their garage.

 

He made several pieces of furniture that would extend the counter tops of our itty bitty kitchen and, as I said yesterday, double the space. The original kitchen ends where the light flooring begins. 



The first piece is a cutting board counter top (much like the one he made for our last kitchen) which has a space for the trash can, and shelves for some of my kitchen items.



The second piece is something J just found at a thrift store and it adds more drawers and countertop.



The third piece is my favorite and it's a really long table with open shelving underneath that makes me feel like I am in a William Sonoma kitchen.



Above that is an Ikea shelf



Lastly, next to that is a closet with a water heater in it which we use for a pantry. That project was just as simple as picking up some shelves at the thrift store and hanging a light in there.



Sure the kitchen appliances are dated and the open shelving is sometimes a pain with curious little ones that like to bang on things, but it actually hasn't been bad at all. I really like this kitchen and it has challenged me to make the most of where we are and focus on what is important. It may not be my dream kitchen, but it's perfect for the season we are in. Maybe you find yourself in a "transition" season as well and I hope these posts can encourage and inspire you.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

Phillipians 4:11

4 comments:

Nella @McDonald's In Heaven said...

WOW! The furniture your husband built is AWESOME! I love how fearless and proactive you guys are about finding solutions to the different "problems" in your situations. It's amazing. LOVING this series. LUH-UHving.

Sarah said...

The table with the shelves is beautiful. You definitely made it a much more functional space.

Unknown said...

Seriously, I love that kitchen, not perfect, but it's yours! And it looks like you make it work, and have fun doing it!

{amy} said...

Awesome!! I have to be honest and say that it took me a looooong time to be content in our rental kitchen. You are doing great!! I wish I had thought out of the box like y'all. Beautiful job!