Saturday, August 9, 2014

Breastfeeding in a dress

Breast is best, but can it work in a dress? See what I did there? First of all, about the breast is best, it's a slogan I'm quoting and it's scientifically proven, at least for now. Some people can't breast feed their baby. Some people don't want to. I don't care how you feed your baby. This particular post is about breastfeeding, but please don't be offended if you're path looks different than mine! I have been the first to admit that the thing I would miss the most if I couldn't breast feed would be the freebies. Not the nutrition, not the bonding, but the flat out frugality of it. The second favorite is getting to eat all of those bonus calories! How noble of me. I am such a sacrificial lactavist.



I have breastfed for 4 and 1/2 years between my three children over the course of 7 years. I started out like most new moms, kind of awkward and self conscious, but now I am comfortable enough to breastfeed on an airplane with the toddlers head resting on the arm of the male college student sitting next to me. I prefer not to be in that position again, I am just saying I don't give a rat's patootie anymore.

I used to think there was no way of breast feeding in a dress because you would have to pull the whole garment up so I would choose my outfits accordingly.



Since then I have learned that I could gear my shopping toward dresses that I could nurse my baby in simply by pulling the neck line down. Whether sporting buttons, a crisscross wrap style, or even strapless most styles these days are very accommodating.



Here are just some of the dresses that I have to choose from.






This is an instagram I posted of the dresses I packed for my trip to New York and I have easily nursed in all three outfits. 

Here is one that I cannot wear while breastfeeding! It's super form fitting and really high up in the front.



Although, one time I witnessed a mom wear a shift dress like this for her babies dedication and then when it was time to nurse she went to the cry room and had someone help her unzip the top of her dress  so that she could feed the newborn. That's quite a bit of effort, but I guess it shows that it can be done if you are really set on a particular outfit.

The point is, if you are breastfeeding, don't be afraid to branch out. I recommend layering with nursing tanks and nursing bras. Those are my go to for wearing under everything. It just makes life simpler during this season. My advice to new moms that are just starting out, wear what you feel comfortable in and when in doubt practice at home first to see if you can nurse your baby with ease in a certain ensemble. I promise you I have done this on many occasions before I have determined what to wear. You are better off giving it a go in private before you are at a restaurant and realize the material isn't as stretchy as you thought all the while trying to console the hungry screaming baby in your arms.

By the way, it is World Breastfeeding Week (or at least it was) so to all the women out there that are feeling exhausted, embarrassed, or the many that are just in love with the whole experience I hope you are encouraged that you are doing a great job. Hooray for the normal, beautiful, natural thing that it is!


3 comments:

TracyL26 said...

I am pumping with Alden now but when I was breast feeding and wanted to wear my non breastfeeding dresses to church, I would put a pair of gym shorts in my purse, go in the nursing room, slip the shorts on and pull up my dress :). Worked great for me! Wish I had done it with the other 2!

Zion said...

Thanks for the tip Tracy! I think it is so helpful when there are special rooms available.

{amy} said...

I hardly ever wore dresses while breast feeding, but I seem to recall higher-necked dresses at the time. I had my fair share of nursing tops, but they seemed to SCREAM that they were for nursing! I'm glad you have a lot of cute options!