Tuesday, August 12, 2014

SJ's 2nd Year of Preschool



I can't believe this will be SJ's last year of preschool. I never  necessarily even planned for my children to even go to preschool, but as you know SJ case is a little different. The idea that a year from now she will be starting kindergarten really shocks me! I suppose I am getting ahead of myself. One year at a time. I am so very anxious (in a good way) to see what this year will hold for her.



You may have noticed I have a page on my blog now that is dedicated strictly to SJ's story and her current progress. I don't have any recent updates because I feel like we have been at a stand still over the summer. I always keep a log of new words and phrases that I notice SJ saying and the last time I did an entry was the end of June. Maybe some of it's because I have been too busy to notice, or maybe it's because she was on vacation and out of school so she is just plateauing. Or perhaps this would be a slower time anyway. These burst of vocabulary breakthroughs do tend to happen in waves. I'll be glad to have her back in school full time though, and not because I want to be away from her because I don't. 



It's just that I can tell a difference in her progress when 
they are purposefully working towards speech compared to the incidental learning that usually happens at home.



She has two new teachers this year. One is for academics the other is speech. I hate change and having school age children has forced me to adapt to new people on a regular basis. Bleh! However, I LOVED her therapist in Louisville, I loved her teacher in the toddler program, and her therapist last year, and I am sure these two lovely ladies that she is currently paired with will be just as nice of a fit. I already have a good feeling about it since SJ received a card addressed to her personally with a hand written note inside. It told SJ to her to let her mom and dad know that she will be in the classroom on a certain day and time and to come by to say hi. In other words, meet the teacher.


Last year's teacher and this summers therapists. She will forever have a special place in our hearts!

I do have one little prayer request which isn't really hearing or CI related, but it kind of is. SJ has always had huge tonsils. She snores like a 50 year old man and she has since she was a one year old. Seriously. However, we have had many experienced Doctors and Pediatricians take note of this fact without showing any concern. My mom brings it up a couple times a year because she just wants to make sure SJ is safe and her airway passages are clear. Then SJ's team of therapists brought it up at our end of their meeting and told me to talk to her ENT about it at our next appointment so last week when I saw her Otolaryngologist I did just that.

He said that her tonsils are a 3+, and that is on a scale that ranges up to 4. So they are in fact big, but without frequent strep throat or sleep apnea (neither of which she deals with) there is no reason to remove them. In fact there is some kind of a cautery tool that they would normally use for surgery that cannot be used on SJ because of her implants. An alternative procedure would affect the coronary bleeding which is an added risk to consider when weighing how valuable this surgery would be to her. Once again it doesn't mean that they are ruling it out and don't want to do the surgery, but he is going to reevaluate in a year and see if she has grown into them at all. He said sometimes these things correct themselves with time. I don't know why there always has to be another hand, but on the other hand he said there are advantages to doing the surgery while the child is still young. It's easier on them, so we don't want to put it off if it is inevitable.



Sheesh. Don't quote me on all the details of that because I wrote down what the Doctor said, but I don't have the paper in front of me. I just remember him saying to not worry about her for now because there is space in her mouth, so she is fine. It would be my heart's desire that she would not have to go through another surgery if we can avoid it. I pray that this situation will be cleared up without any medical intervention. In the grand scheme of things it is not an earth shattering concern and I do believe God's hand has her covered head to toe.

So that's what is happening with the girlie. She has had a wonderful summer.



 I am sure she is going to be bummed to realize it's over, but happy to be reunited with her friends. One week to go!

1 comment:

{amy} said...

I'm sorry that you're facing another possible decision in regards to surgery for your baby girl. Will be agreeing with you in prayer! On a somewhat related note, my friend has just been told that he is hearing impaired and is in the process of getting hearing aids and stuff. He's a grown man in his early fifties, and the ENT says is an hereditary situation. Anyways, I know it's a different situation than yours, but I've been thinking about all that you've been through with SJ as he has been processing through this over the past couple of weeks.