Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Weeee Did It!!!!


Well guys Z started the 1st grade two days ago and SJ starts tomorrow. We have officially survived summer break 2014. One more quick disclaimer before I wrap this thing up, I do love my children. I love having them near me. I enjoy all the nostalgia of the endless summer days. BUT it is a challenge to allow the children to appreciate all that summer has to offer when you live in a modest apartment with no indoor or outdoor play options. We're happy, we're thriving, all is well. No pity needed, I am just keeping it real. School being in session lifts an enormous weight off of my shoulders. I feel good about the 12 weeks that we did have at home though, and I can't believe that this is the final 6 activities to add to the 66 already listed!

1. Dancing



Alright, I admit it this one was for the mama for sure, but it's a family activity that we did together and I am so thrilled that I had the opportunity. It was 1940's week at the Cincinnati Museum center, which is my FAVORITE time period.



I dressed the part and although I didn't do any swing dancing I watched the experts and had a great time.



The kids never turn down a chance to go to the museum so they had fun too.



2. Rest

Maybe resting is an activity, but it needs to be on the list because sometimes that is what we need. Especially when all three kiddos get a virus. I hauled all three of them to the doctor and he said they would be okay within a couple days and they were. At least it happened before school.

3. Movie in the Park



I love these outdoor movies! This particular one was a showing of The Bee Movie at the Nature center where they served rice crispy type snacks made with honey combs. How cute! I'll admit that it was cold and it sprinkled a little bit, but I gave the movie and the atmosphere two enthusiastic thumbs up!

4. Sports Complex



In anticipation of summer I got a groupon for the gym where the kids had swim lessons last year. They also have trampolines and a giant play land. We still have a membership there until September so we'll be back during the school year too.

5. Ikea


Z and SJ LOVE Ikea. I think they love it more than a 30 year suburben mom on a budget. In other words they really really love it. Of course the ball pit and the movies are a big hit, but they even like the food court and kids decor. This was our first visit all summer. I used the opportunity to pick up some bowls and dish towels. Fun for all.

6. Community Story Time



I mentioned the reading clubs that Z participated in this year. Well, I finally managed to get him to Barnes and Noble where he turned in his reading list for a free Ninjago book. While we were there we saw that they were going to have a reading of Pete the Cat and the New Guy. Z loves Pete the Cat so we went back on Saturday for their story time.

That's it. I plan to make a comprehensive list for myself so that next year when I am in the same boat (as far as I know we will still be here next year and I'll share more about that later) I will remember all the fun that we had and be remind myself how The Messies do summer.

1 comment:

{amy} said...

A comprehensive list is a great idea for you and other moms! Though some of your activities were local, I still think they can inspire SAHMs in other locations.