Thursday, August 14, 2014

Summer's Caboose

I can't believe it. It's almost here. The end of summer break. It wasn't so bad that I can't stand to look at it for another second, it's just the feeling of accomplishment that makes me giddy. I knew it would be tough, and it was. Some days were better than others, but what I am really here to write about last week. The first week in August. 

Let's take a look at some of my phone photos to see what we did for our boredom busters. 

1. Yard Sales

I am totally digging yard sale season and it can be a fantastic family activity. Sure my little ones weren't thrilled with the idea when I introduced it, but we struck gold when we came upon three houses in a row with young families that had lots of gently used items that they were practically giving away. Actually, some of it they were literally giving away. We showed up right before the sale ended and they were going to donate the items anyway so they said take what you want. The kids and I walked away with bags of stuff and a smile on our faces. 


 I got some cute tops the one in this pic still has the tag on it.


I got so many pajamas that I had to divide them up and give them away! 



I also had to clean out our closets to make room so the next day I was able to pay it forward by giving away some of the stuff that still looks great, but isn't worn anymore. When I put Z to bed that night he actually THANKED me for taking him to the yard sale. Happy day!

2. Company


We don't usually have people over because we are so squished in our little abode. However, last week my brother and niece and nephew were in the area so they stopped by. We ate frozen pizza and fruit salad and the kids had playtime. It makes me we want to have friends and family over more often! 

3. National Night Out


There was a festival in the parking lot of a nearby Target store where all of our local heroes came out with trucks, boats, and equipment that you could actually go interact with. It was a way to promote awareness of crime prevention and community safety. There were also tons of vendors giving away freebies including dinner, snow cones, and cotton candy. I am telling you we had a blast! And it was completely free. You know I love free. 


It was Sedona's first time trying cotton candy. I love how that is all you see in the photo above.


4. Sleep Over 

We spent a couple nights at my parents house last week. Our husbands all had work to do so it was just my mom, sister in law, me, and 6 children ages 6 and under. When my sil told my niece E that we were going to have a slumber party she froze, got wide eyed, and said "Wait a minute! Do you know what that's called!?" Then raising her voice to a shriek she said "SLEEP OVER!!!" and started to dance around.  The next day My sil did their hair in matching pig tails and they looked sooo cute.



 It was a nice visit

5. TV 


We like to stay active, but I also wanted to mention that sometimes the kids veg out on netflix (when I can get them to slow down for 20 minutes if you know what I mean). I didn't think my summer boredom busters list would be complete without mentioning this familiar summer pastime. The above photo was taken at a Doctors visit. We've had a lot of those lately with getting school physicals and all.


6. Nature time 




The Cincinnati Nature Center Playscape is one of the coolest places for kids that I have ever visited. They just celebrated their 3 year anniversary and had a big party with crafts, scavenger hunts, and prizes. The weather was gorgeous! What a way to finish out the final days of summer. 

1 comment:

{amy} said...

What a great way to spend a week! Way to go on the yard sale! There are a couple of things that I'd like to look for at some yard sales, but I haven't seen any signs lately...probably because it's so stinkin' hot! Speaking of...you probably remember that Texas' National Night Out isn't until October because it's so hot! I'm glad you've had such a great summer!!