Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Card 2014

Every year we do a Christmas card. Even if they seem thrown together or unprofessional don't let that fool you! I put a ton of thought and effort into every single card. I usually have the card idea planned a year in advance, and if you were to ask me there would be a story behind why I chose that particular theme for each year. Here are the ones that I have done since this blog started in 2008.

2008- Converse Sneakers
2009- Maternity Christmas Present
2010- The Regift  
2011- The Outdoor Couch (scroll down to #4)
2012- Sunglasses
2013- Jingle Bells Batman Smells 

This year I wanted to have a nice family photo because the last time we had one was 3 years ago before Ezie had arrived. I couldn't simply have a sweet photo printed on photo cards at Costco. It was too predictable. So I decided to go old school and actually make my own photo cards rather than design a digital one. Repurposed is probably the best way to describe them. My mom had a collection of old cards that had never been signed or mailed so I just glued the pictures and scraps of Christmas papers, tape, and stickers on top.
 
Although it was a bit tedious I didn't mind. I found the whole project to be therapeutic. The thing I hated was signing them. Some of them were even blank on the inside so that was just a huge pain.

The worst part is I HATE my hand writing. I get it from my mom. No offense mom, but one day she wrote me a note giving permission for me to ride home with a friend from school. The school denied my request because they thought it looked like I wrote the note and forged my mom's signature. They had no reason to doubt my honesty. I was an honor student who was never ever in trouble, but even then I guess they thought there was no way an adult could have written that note. Anyway, all that to say that my handwriting is bad. Not sloppy in a cute way that would make a fun font. Just plain ugly. So, I will never do cards this way again as far as I'm concerned, but it's over now. Here is how they turned out!


One of my favorites is this one with the Christmas trees because it was a invitation to SJ's Christmas program at school. I just taped the pretty blue design to a card (I think it was actually a thanksgiving card) and then I glued our photo and snowflakes on top. 


This is another favorite because SJ was helping and she cut these mittens out, but they were from a gift bag and I didn't really want her to cut up the gift bag. In the end though it looks cute and she has great precision for a 4 year old so I ended up really liking his card. 


This red card stock was the backing for some gift tags so I ended up using it too! 


This polka dot one is funny to me. It's actually Valentine paper, but add the words Merry Christmas and a little Elf sticker and it looks pretty Christmasy. The funny part is that I didn't realize the preexisting message on the inside of the card said "What a glorious time to renew our faith and refresh our souls in the Savior's love." Which is great, but it doesn't quite fit with the happy sledding elf I put on the front. 


That's just a fraction of the 40 cards I made, which didn't nearly cover my list. I think I covered most of the family and as for everyone else this digital version will have to suffice. 


Merry Christmas everybody! 

5 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Your cards are beautiful! I love them! Merry Christmas :)

{amy} said...

And...I'm caught up! You are always so creative when it comes to your Christmas cards! Great job!

Lauren said...

Love this idea, and your creativity. Just catching up on blog reading. Hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas!!!

nancy from ky said...

Who says I have bad hand writing LOL. I blame it on my 3 grade teacher.
I love the cards.

TracyL26 said...

After reading this post, I walked over to your card and carefully looked at it and admired it :). Shawn was extra impressed you had made each one by hand! Thank you for thinking enough of us to send us one :)