Saturday, September 10, 2011

Class Reunion

When J's 10 year class reunion was right around the corner (8 years ago) he said he didn't want to go. I remember having this conversation on a sidewalk in downtown Fort Worth. We were all dressed up for a date night. I told J I thought he should go, and he looked at me and said, 'I don't know why I would want to put myself through that. I have absolutely nothing to show for myself.' I just looked right back at him with the slight head tilt. Really? NOTHING to show for yourself?'

I can laugh at his comment, because I know that he loves me and is proud of me, but he also knows how to put his foot in his mouth sometimes. Don't we all? Well, know it's my turn, and although I have been looking forward to my 10 year reunion for about 10 years, I was floored when I saw that the tickets were $53 per person and included 2 drink tickets and light appetizers. I responded to the facebook announcement by sharing that I wasn't going to be able to make it. I wasn't the only one that was put out by the arrangements and there were some classmates planning a separate event that would include some kegs and a bonfire out in a field.

Let's see, I could sip on high priced cocktails at a snooty venue in Dallas, or I could hang out with a bunch of drunk people and a fire during a drought. Hmmmm? I felt like a High School student all over again with no place to fit in.

So in the midst of my wallowing I picked out a movie on Netflix called You Again.
I had no idea what it was about, but it showed up as recommended and it was comedy rated PG. I thought it would be worth a try. It turned out to be about a girl that had a really rough time in high school. After graduation she moves on with her life and becomes successful, but then finds out her archenemy, the popular girl that bullied her in school, was marrying her brother. It really hit the spot for what I was going through!

As it turns out the student council (basically all of my closest friends in high school) changed the venue and dropped the price. So I guess I will be going in about 2 weeks. I am not sure what to expect, but I know that you can expect to hear all about at when it's all over.


3 comments:

{amy} said...

I'm glad they've made different arrangements! I look forward to hearing about it!! I've wondered about that movie ~ I'll have to put it on my list!

Anonymous said...

We saw that movie about a month ago and really liked it too! When I first saw the posters for it I thought "Mmm, it's probably a dumb movie about girls just being mean and getting revenge", but I was SO surprised at how it ended. :)
And I'm glad everything is working out for the reunion! I can't wait to hear about it. :)

Unknown said...

The movie really sounds fun! I am glad they lowered the price and that you get to go.