Monday, September 5, 2011

Television Confession

I have a confession to make. It's something that might label me as an outsider. It sets me apart in some ways from most of my family and friends, and most of the modern world. I hope that you won't judge me for it. The fact of the matter is, I don't watch TV. Not only that, but I rarely even watch movies.
I used to be addicted to the television. I had certain shows that would keep me company morning, noon, evening, and late into the night. I never had cable, but it didn't stop me from having the bedroom and living room TV on all the time. But, somewhere in between kids, and trials in my marriage and my own personal life I started to become disgusted with some of what I was seeing. My eyes were being opened to the deception that I had been desensitized to and none of the messages that were being projected through the house were resonating with the message that I am trying to project through my life with Christ. Now hear me out, this wasn't some kind of religious media diet where I decide to quit watching certain things so that I could be holy. I liken it to my beverage diet. I used to drink sodas. Around 12 years ago I stopped and I just don't like them now. I don't turn up my nose when people drink Dr. Pepper. That would be hypocritical of me because I still drink milkshakes and sugary coffee drinks. I am not trying to be anything I am just doing what works for me.

That's about it, there are no anti TV rules here, but I just lost my appetite for most of it. J and I used to be on different pages about the matter, but he has found himself feeling the same way I do and that's where we are at for now. We do watch episodes of Monk on Netflix every once in a while and J loves football. I try to limit Z's TV time, but there are so many great children's movies out there and PBS kids too. We also love documentaries. For movies I try to look them up on Pluggedin.com before I watch. They have reviews for every movie and list out any content that might not be family friendly.
So there you have it. I gave birth in my bathtub, I go to a charismatic church, I don't pay for haircuts, and now you can add I don't watch TV. So if you thought I was normal, sorry to disappoint. I will say though that even though my standards are so strict that there is very little left in popular entertainment that I find appealing, I do watch some movies and you'll find out what later this week. Once again, I really don't want to come across as self righteous or legalistic. All I know is that I've been down both roads and for me the one less traveled has been incredible!

2 comments:

Momma of The B.M.C. Report said...

I love this about you!!! There is so much 'trash' on now it's crazy. I am really strict with what I let my boys watch but I need to do a better job of limiting what I watch. Hope your having a fabulous Labor Day with your family!

xoxox,
Maria

{amy} said...

I don't watch as much as I used to. Several years ago, I decided that I didn't want to start watching anything new because I didn't want to get addicted to another show! As my shows have been cancelled, I haven't picked up any new ones. I still have a few that I record, but that's all I watch (aside from some Food Network & HGTV stuff occasionally). When I type it all out, it still sounds like too much, though!