Thursday, September 1, 2011

Little Accomplishments

For those that do not know about H.E.B let me just start by saying, I am sorry. It's just a grocery store, but for some of us it is a cult like movement. I remember being 15 and hearing some of the older ladies at my church buzzing with excitement over the new H.E.B. that was coming to the area. It all sounded like a bunch of blah blah blah to me. How could people be so boring? Now I am that age, and I understand the impact that a decent grocery store can have on your life. And apparently my kids love it too. One time Z was throwing a fit in the car and I threatened to take him to Wal-mart and he said "No mommy! I want to go to H.E.B!" That's what I call a chip off the old block.

Z and H.E.B. go way back. He's been collecting their buddy bucks for years literally. These little reward bucks are given away at the checkout and can go toward a vending machine game that dispenses stickers.
The stickers are worth a certain number of points that can be collected in a booklet and turned in for prizes.
It's elaborate, I know, but now you see one of the reasons why some people are in love with this place. Z eventually got hundreds of points that he turned in for a bunch of prizes that are now either lost or broken, but it's not really about the prizes.
He accomplished something.

When our church presented the annual fundraiser for the local women's center I though it would be something that Z could get into. The goal is to fill a baby bottle with loose change or donations as an easy way to support the work that they are doing at the women's resource center. I explained to Z that we were raising money for babies in need and any time we got some coins we could put them in the bottle. Since then he comes to me enthusiastically with any money that he finds around the house or from his grandparents so that he can drop it in the little plastic bottle.
This week we topped off the bank with what amounted to $25.00. It may not be an earth shattering donation, but I think it's a great start for a little boy with a big heart.



3 comments:

nancy from ky said...

O.K. I have tears.

nancy from ky said...

O.K. I have tears.

{amy} said...

That is super!! I love getting the kids involved with that type of thing!