Monday, October 1, 2012

My Overstuffed Hospital Bag


Packing my hospital bag has been one of the more intimidating aspects of having a hospital birth. I know I am overpacking, but I don't want to forget anything at the house which is over an hour away.

Early on in the pregnancy I found this little blog post on pinterest about what not to bring to the hospital. She goes through and talks about all of the things she should have just left at home. So I can take the advice of this blog post and many other moms who would encourage me to pack light, or I can be bull headed and bring all but the kitchen sink. Since I am nine months pregnant, and as stubborn as my two year old, I am going to go ahead and share with you the top ten unneccessary items I plan on taking to the hospital with us
  1. my swimsuit
I know it’s not a beaches resort I am going to, but I will hopefully get a room with a labor tub, and I would feel much more relaxed if I am not in the buff. I even read a tip online for the husband to bring his suit too in case wifey needs her labor partner as a support in the shower. So we have our bathing suits packed and ready.


  1. my lamp
My midwife is very encouraging of whatever kind of lighting and ambiance we prefer to have to feel the most comfortable. J and I mutually decided to bring a lamp that we got as a wedding gift. We’ve had it with us since day one of our marraige so I think it will be comforting. 


  1. emergency delivery kit
Given that I tend to have lickity split deliveries and we are a risky ways away from the hospital I have printed out instructions for an emergency delivery and I am bringing trash bags and towels. I pray that these items will not be needed. 


  1. my computer
For both of my other child births I spent an exstensive amount of time hand picking hundreds of songs for labor and photos to be looping as a slideshow on my laptop. This tradition continues. 

  1. my tree

The most bulky unnecessary item I plan to bring is this little inspirational tree that I made. It was somewhat inspired by a pinterest thing I saw. There is so much significance to this tree I won’t even go into all of it, but I am in love with this comforting item from home. 

  1. underwear
I understand that bras may not fit, and depends (or the mesh hospital panties I have heard so much about) are the way to go after child birth. I have been there done that and know it all too well, but I still can’t even fathom not having at least a couple pairs of undies packed up just in case. 


  1. photo of kids
Even with the digital slideshow I can’t think of anything more comforting and calming than a framed photo of my precious little ones that WILL NOT be joining us for the occasion.


  1. gifts from baby brother
I read about this idea online and thought it would help the kiddos to feel appreciated and bonded. They will be receiving a present from their new brother. I want it to be something to encourage the idea that their brother loves them already. 


  1. blanket
This was an insider tip from a girl I know that delivered at the same hospital. Everyone says bring your own pillow, but she actually said her husband froze to death and brought a blanket the next time they had a baby. 

  1. Digital SLR kit
I am sure we could get sufficient pictures with a point and shoot, but I have asked my sister in law if she could take pictures with my camera equipment. This will be my first time not having a birth photographer capture the moment, but documenting the birth on 'film' is very important to me and so the equipment is coming! 


These are not all of the items coming, but like I said before, probably the most unnecessary. We'll see how I feel about hauling it all into the different rooms when the time comes. Or should I say we'll see how J feels?

2 comments:

nancy from ky said...

Having been there, the atmosphere was so peaceful and calming. I loved the music selection too.

nancy from ky said...

Having been there I can say the atmosphere was so peaceful. and the music selection was everything I love.