Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Hardest Job on the Planet




I saw this comedian on youtube that was joking about how the statement motherhood is the hardest job on the planet is an exaggeration. He compares motherhood to coal miners dying of the black lung, implying that risking your life for a job would be harder.  I would never describe motherhood as life threatening, but in a few rare cases it actually is. The comedian then dramatically explains how difficult it must be to bend down and put a dvd in the dvd player while you are still in your pajamas. The most ignorant thing he said was how mothers can send their kids to bed ANYTIME THEY WANT so that they can have a drink and watch The Price Is Right.

Would't that be nice!?

Now I understand how comedy works, and even though I think this guy has no idea what he is talking about I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that everything he said was 100% sarcastic. However, there are people out there that buy into his idea of motherhood as a brainless effortless gig and that is why I want to talk about it.

First off I would agree that there are plenty of more physically and intellectually demanding careers out there. Being a mom isn't even really a job at all in my opinion. One reason is because unlike a job, motherhood isn't just an investment of time and skill, it demands attention from ever fiber of your being.

During pregnancy a mother's body will literally be stretched and strained to it's maximum potential in order to create and sustain a new human. After her body pushes the baby out of her (something I'd love to see that comedian try to even fathom) then the child will depend on her for not only physical nourishment, but the love and care that has been scientifically proven is necessary for life. There will be times she will be stuck in a car with relentless screaming that could bring a soldier to his knees. She will clean up vomit and feceses more times than you can count. Her nipples will probably be bitten, her sleep will be stolen, and her hair will be pulled. All that and we aren't even through the first year.

The challenges only increase as the child grows and it's not a bad thing, but it certainly is NOT easy.

The emotional side of motherhood is far more intricate and complex than any job could ever be. Some people may feel like they are emotionally invested in their jobs, but mothers are attached at the core of who they are. When the child suffers the mother feels the same pain multiplied. The intensity of her passion for her children is pumping through her blood because those children are a part of her and share her DNA.

I could go on and on about all that motherhood entails, but I have already wasted too much time responding to a really stupid youtube video that was recommended on Facebook, and the only thing worse than that is that I also read a couple of the idiotic comments. Apparently there are a lot of oblivious people out there who really do think moms sit around all day playing Candy Crush Saga and snacking on sushi or something.

Just to be clear as I wrap this thing up, some women birth children, but never become mothers. Some women never birth children, but are the strongest mothers of all. It's a relationship, a lifestyle, a gift, a sacrifice, and a calling, but not necessarily a job.  To say motherhood is job implies that you are paid, or that you can go off duty, or retire. So I don't think that motherhood is the hardest job on the planet because that statement isn't powerful enough to describe what being a mom really is.

12 comments:

Justine Y @ Little Dove said...

There is a quote that I love: "Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. It is not something to do of you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for." I have often said that the mental exhaustion is what gets me, day after day, the never-ending dealing with little people that you can't even have a conversation with. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I love being able to stay home with them, but it is hard! And I'm not necessarily saying it's harder than another job, or it is the hardest job, but it's definitely different than any other job.

Zion said...

Yep. Thank you Justine. That is really it!

Susan said...

Motherhood? A lifetime adventure. Some good, some not-so-good; some great and some just plain miserable. But in it, I am, until death do us part! My oldest is 46 and my youngest is 37 - I wouldn't trade one day of mothering. I would change some things but I'd never regret doing it. xo

blestbutstrest said...

Amen! You've nailed it. It's not a job, it's a vocation, a calling, a lifetime commitment.

Unknown said...

People don't understand until they walk in the shoes of those who have gone through it. I don't know why society thinks it is okay, but sadly even I had those prejudice until I started to stay home. I was so worried I would be bored. So far that hasn't happened. :) Lonely maybe, but never bored.

Tobi@simplyjesusministries.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tobi@simplyjesusministries.com said...

Motherhood is definitely a calling not a job. God bless ya Mama.

Unknown said...

Love it! I hate when motherhood is reduced down to stereotypes or dumb comments!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

So well written and perfectly articulated! I couldn't agree more that motherhood is a privilege, a calling, an emotional investment like no other. It's the hardest and more beautifully rewarding job I will ever have - and it never ends. I also love what you wrote about the difference between being a mother and just having a baby. If you are someone who has bonded with your child, then the impact on your life is forever changed. You view the world and life so differently. I love your post and blog for talking about things that really matter. Thanks Natalie :)

{amy} said...

Well said! I hadn't seen the video, but I think I know enough about it now to not watch it!

sarah may said...

Amen sister!!

sarah may said...

Amen sister!!