Thursday, April 2, 2015

Let's Talk About Water Birth

"Hi Natalie! I've been reading a lot of posts on Messy Mom about your child birthing experiences and advice! That is super helpful! Thank you for writing those. I was wondering if you'd written any more posts about water birthing. I am thinking about this for our birth! I would love to hear your tips and advice! "


This question comes from first time expectant mom Bethany who blogs over at "Again We Say Rejoice" Isn't their pregnancy announcement adorable!?


 I was thrilled to get this question from Bethany because I am very passionate about water birth, but other than sharing my birth stories I have never blogged about the topic specifically. Granted, I am NOT an expert on water birth so I am not going to dish out a bunch of facts and statistics, but I will share my take on it from personal experience.



I have heard water birth referred to as nature's epidural and after having one birth that was not in water and two that were I can agree with that statement.

The way it works is that the baby receives oxygen through your umbilical cord and does not inhale until exposed to air. Since the baby is already underwater (or more accurately in amniotic fluid) in the womb for 9 months this makes for a smooth transition into the world. Think of it like having the lights gradually turned on rather than going from complete darkness all night long and then suddenly having someone shining a bright light in your face. That's not why I had a water birth, it's just one of the potential benefits.



Here is some more information about the entire process

PREPARATION

Preparing for a water birth can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. One thing you have to know ahead of time is whether or not it is offered by your care provider or birthing facility. Even if they do offer water birth their criteria might determine some of the methods you choose.

I know for a lot of home births people order inflatable birth pools, but I have no experience with this personally.

I will say that my first water birth was completely unplanned! I had planned to birth on my bed and had prepared everything accordingly, but I was comfortable in the bathtub and my daughter came so quickly that it just happened that way! 





This proves more than anything just how little preparation is needed for a water birth.

Attire


I was nude for my first water birth and wore a maternity swimsuit (with no bottoms) the second time around. The swimsuit was a lot like wearing a slip or a sundress. I really liked it because I didn't have to worry about being completely exposed. It kept me covered in and out of the water. The swimsuit was stretchy enough for me to pull the front down and breastfeed, which is an important factor to consider. I did this immediately after the delivery for skin to skin contact and both babies latched on and started breastfeeding while I was still in the water, which means it happened almost right away because I did not stay in the water long.

Timing

Typically you want to wait until you are really in active labor when you get in the water. This way the water is fresh and warm. For me I just waited until contractions were really intense. Your midwife or doula can let you know how far along you appear to be and give you instructions at that point.

Comfortable Positions

Unlike other types of birth there aren't a lot of tools and tricks because the water itself is the pain relief! Warm water is stress relieving, soothing, and literally reduces a lot of the weight of labor. It also naturally massages the perineum to promote elasticity and prevent tearing. One simple item you can use to get comfortable is a towel that can be rolled up or folded to create a soft surface for you to lean on.

With my first water birth I had my back against the edge of the tub (the same as when you bathe) and birthed in what I would refer to as the traditional position (lying down with your legs apart). With water birth number two I was on my knees leaning over the tub.



One reason is because I was Group B Strep positive which meant I had to have an IV. It was covered in plastic and could get wet, but it was not supposed to stay submerged in the water. There is a lot more information about this, but that's another topic altogether. You won't know if you are GBS positive until they do the test toward the end of your pregnancy.


Final Thoughts

There are so many different approaches to water birth. It's a very personal decision.

For me I had the unplanned water birth in my bathtub with a CPM (certified professional midwife) at home and birthed the placenta in the tub. I was near Dallas Texas at the time and the location is important, because laws vary from state to state.

Then I had a hospital water birth in Lexington Kentucky with an APRN (advanced practice registered nurse)/ CNM (certified nurse midwife) and delivered the placenta in the bed afterwards. The midwife also did the circumcision.

If water birth is an option where you are delivering then I say at least have it available just in case it turns out to be the place you feel most comfortable. You can always change your mind! No matter how things go when you deliver it's important to remember that you will NOT disappoint your baby. The baby just wants to be out of the womb. The hard part is knowing that for yourself and doing whatever feels best for you!

16 comments:

Bethany said...

Thank you Natalie! Hearing from you helps to demystify the process and makes it seem far less intimidating! I appreciate your insight!

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

What a beautiful and helpful post! I agree with Bethany - your personal story makes it way less intimidating!

Holly Housewife said...

So interesting! I love hearing all sorts of birth stories, it's such a personal thing and makes me feel like I've got a little glimpse into your life. My son came fast and furious at the hospital and it was hectic and crazy! A water birth sounds so soothing, thanks for sharing :)

Susan said...

Having another baby is not an option for me ;) but I would do this if it was!!! Great post.

Amanda said...

Great post, thanks for sharing! I think when I have children I will consider a water birth! It seems relaxing and natural, I do not want to take any pain medicine! Thanks again!

Justine Y @ Little Dove said...

I love warm showers and baths during the early stages of labor (as I'm waiting to go to the hospital) because it really helps me to relax, so I've always been interested in water births. Thanks so much for sharing this information Natalie!

Bethany Magnie said...

I spent most of my labor in water but ended up birthing on a Amish birthing stool which was awesome. Next birth I'd like to stay in the water, the only reason I got out was because my baby was unexpectedly breech!

The Flynnigans said...

I really enjoyed reading this. I don't think I will have Children but if I did, it would be a water birth. Looks really tranquil and much more intimate.

Unknown said...

Love hearing a personal testimony. I've been wanting to hear real life people talk about their experience rather than the medical talk I've been reading. THANK YOU!

Tara Ulrich said...

Such a great testimony and definitely makes water birth seem way less scary and intimidating. I've always been intrigued by those that chose water birth. I think its so cool.

Lisa D said...

This was a fascinating read! I've never been pregnant but was curious about the details of water birth. Thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

I wanted to do a water birth, but the hospital we were at (Wright-Patterson AFB) only allowed people to labor in water. And then I had to be induced at 42 weeks and nothing went quite as planned. Maybe for #2 I will get lucky and go into labor naturally and be able to use water to help me labor.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

It's so great you're sharing your story, thoughts and opinions. I'm sure it's invaluable to Moms who are about to embark on this amazing journey!

brittanyashmore said...

Very interesting!! I couldn't do it personally but I truly commend you!! Amazing!

Jenn Youse said...

Beautiful, seems like a wonderful experience. I had 3 c-sections, so it wasn't that relaxing. Love your posts, looking forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,
I came across your blog and your posting about waterbirth. What cnm did you have and hospital? I currently reside in Lexington, KY and I am interested in it. My email address is staceyweldon85@gmail.com. Thanks.