Saturday, October 9, 2010

Justice

This week I blogged about the Invisible Children, Bound 4 Life, and SPCA, which are three of the causes that I feel are worth promoting.

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
-Ephesians 2:10


There are other charitable causes that I have worked with or donated to, but there are also some things that came to my attention this week that I have never been involved in, but would like to consider.

I got an email the other day from some of my BFFs Ben & Jerry and it was about October being fair trade month. So of course I went out to down a bunch of ice cream since it was for a good cause.


This also got me thinking about one of my other best friends (for real this time) who manages our church coffee shop and is passionate about fair trade coffee. She recommends the documentary Black Gold which is available for viewing on line by the way.

One coffee company I recently came across that buys fair trade is Zoe coffee and all the proceeds go toward fighting human trafficking.


I haven't tried the coffee yet, but by the looks of what I have read on their website I LOVE what they are doing.

Lastly, I want to read a book called Where Am I Wearing? A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People That Make Our Clothes.


I hear it's a good read. Lucky for me I have an obsession with buying things used which not only supports charitable causes (most of the time), but it's earth friendly too.

In the end I just want to have my eyes opened to some of the injustices around me and around the world. I can't change everything, but maybe I can make a difference. I know my blogger friends are also very vocal about making a difference. Originally I wanted to make a long list of links to posts you have written, but there was no way for me to track them all down from memory so feel free to share or link up with a comment about something or several things you support and want to raise awareness about.

His Kingdom come His will be done.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Your search for justice is inspiring. Keep it up.

I hope you enjoy my book, Where Am I Wearing? Let me know what you think of it.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Ahh, great topic! I wish I hadn't missed it while on vacation!!

{amy} said...

Chris is all about Fair Trade (especially coffee!).

Your posts this week got me thinking about the lack of awareness for my mister's type of cancer (among others). I thought about posting again, but I don't have many followers, so I would probably just be talking about it to the same people! But, of course you know I'll share a link to my blog post about Ocular Melanoma.