Friday, August 26, 2011

LOL

I love words. That's what I've been talking about this week. I just like reading and writing, even though I am not that great at grammar or spelling. The other day I had to fill out a questionnaire using pen and paper and it was so hard to have to rely on the spell check in my brain! Seriously, I am ever so grateful for the little red lines under my words that indicate that questionnaire is not spelled questionaire (I'm using a real life example here).

My love of words is probably why I am not a huge fan of texting abbreviations or initialisms. Although I do use them some, I am pretty old fashioned. I wrote a post about this once called textiquette. Times are changing though and these initialisms are becoming more acceptable. They are even starting to show up in the dictionary. I don't really know why. The should have a separate dictionary for acronyms because they are not really words, they are letters that represent several words. It could be called the all caps dictionary. But no one consulted me about this and so we are officially introducing several new acronyms into the Oxford dictionary such as LOL and OMG.

It was no more than 10 years ago I remember chatting with a couple of friends debating the meaning of the term LOL. One of them said it was laugh out loud. I said I thought it meant lots of love, and the other girl said we were both wrong and confidently declared that it stood for little old lady. After some research I found out that we were all right, and lots of luck could been thrown in there too. LOL began in the 1960's and did in fact mean little old lady, but for the current generation it obviously means laugh out loud and if you don't believe me you can look it up in the dictionary along with sexting and wassup. To be honest, it kind of irks me that misspellings and initialisms are making their way into the beautiful English language. I'll probably come around, I usually do (like with texting in general), but can't smiley faces be right side up? I drove past a car that someone had written on with shoe polish and it had a message followed by a colon and parenthesis, or in other words :). I totally understand using this emoticon when typing and maybe she was just trying to be cute, but my fear is that the next generation will not even know that smiley faces are not supposed to be sideways!!! I digress.

I am not trying to be a LOL, but does anyone else wonder if electronic communications will change the way we speak and write forever?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i def. think things will be a lot different for our kiddos. i just heard that they're taking cursive handwriting out of curriculums (something i was wondering earlier this year, actually). i guess i'm a LOL because it makes me sad. :(

Eos Mom said...

I totally agree, texting acronyms should not be in the Oxford dictionary, sheesh! But I will admit that now that I've started texting, I am guilty of writing "u" instead of you and other shortcuts, because typing with my thumbs isn't easy! So I sort of get it, but I do worry for this generation that only seems to know how to write in text language!!!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I think electronic communication has already changed the way we communicate! For example, shorter paragraphs - heck, shorter messages in general. I'm all for that, but I will never be okay with people saying "L-O-L" out loud. That does not even make sense. If you are laughing out loud, then laugh out loud. Don't abbreviate a description of what you are doing. (Sorry - pet peeve and soap box. Shutting up now!) :)

nancy from ky said...

I have a co-worker that confesses to spelling wrong because she is so used to texting. I'm with you on trying not to put u rather than you in texted.I also couldn't believe when I heard that cursive was out. I have lectured people at the airport that say they can't check in because their printer was broke so they don't have their info. WRITE IT DOWN WITH PEN AND PAPER! Sorry.

{amy} said...

Girl, I totally know what you mean! I use some abbreviations, but generally only if I'm in a hurry. And never out loud or actually hand-written out! & they totally shouldn't put abbreviations in the dictionary.

Zion said...

I am so glad to hear I am not alone in this. Us LOLs have got to stick together. JK ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you stated in a much more direct way what I was trying to communicate, thanks, I will recommend your site to my friends.

My site:
rachat rachat de credits

Staceemaree said...

You're a mom ... how could you not know that LOL stands for Loads of Laundry!?

LOL.