Monday, October 27, 2014

See Him. Name Him. Draw Him Out.

Yesterday I talked about having a vision for our children. For me a big part of this process was revealed to me through the book Wild Things. They gave three key actions that lead you to a child's heart. 

The first one was to see them.

To see a child is to know how they are uniquely made. To get know their heart and personality, the good and the bad. 

The second one was to name them.

To name them is to declare truth about them, to them, and for them, (like we talked about yesterday) 

Then lastly, to draw them out.

This means to challenge, invite, coax, and direct your child toward and authentic lifestyle of integrity and intimate relationships with himself, others, and with God.

 I heard a sermon recently about Matthew 13:44 where Jesus tells the parable about the hidden treasure. The pastor expounded on this parable by encouraging us to see the treasure in others. Let's review the passage.

 “The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure that a man discovered hidden in a field. In his excitement, he hid it again and sold everything he owned to get enough money to buy the field.”

 I am reminded that in Luke 17:21 that the Kingdom of God is also within us. We can see glimpses of the Kingdom of God through our children everyday. If we apply this parable to the idea of having a vision for our children then we can dig even further into Mathew 13:44. 

1. To “see them” is to discover  the field
2. To “name them” is to actually make the investment and buy the field. We are saying of our children, others may just see the field or a crazy rambunctious child, but I see the treasure and I am willing to give up everything for this vision. 
3. To “draw them out” is taking on the field and protecting that treasure! You hide these words and that vision in your heart just as the man hid the treasure in the field. You are agreeing to take ownership of the land, the weeds, the labor, maintenance, and the dirt. All of it! Again, Teachable Parenting is taking on the mistakes, the emotions, and the growing pains that come along with the process all because you see the value in that treasure. You have a vision.


It's a lot of responsibility, but it's worth it. It is so rewarding isn't it? Today I want you to focus on seeing, knowing, and drawing out your child. Really pray about it and consider what this means for your relationship with your children. Tomorrow we will talk about how to declare these truths by the words of our mouth. It's a biggie!

Today is day 27 of a 31 day series. For the rest of Teachable Parenting click HERE.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Children are our biggest investment - and I mean that as a mental investment. We want what is best for them, to see them shine and grow. Crazy how a smile from your child can be one of the absolute best things.

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

Great words of wisdom and encouragement. I'm glad I discovered your blog today. I'll be back to catch up on your 31 day series.

sarah may said...

I love this! I'm adding you to my feedly as well. I love that we can read words from people we've never met yet have the exact same needs to be filled. The hardest part and best part for me in parenting is remembering that I can help them see Him but He will draw them out. It's not my job and I'm not in control. Difficult at some times but so thankful it's all Him in the end!

Unknown said...

What wonderful words of encouragement. This is something I have been thinking a lot about, especially in regards to one particular child. Thank you for the post!

blestbutstrest said...

I love this idea! I'm still trying to really get to know my youngest ;). She's 20 and struggling with depression and I keep asking myself where I went wrong as a parent--did I not get to know her enough? Is the depression the result of outside factors (the stress of my husband being critically ill)? She's spending time out of college living with us, and I'm enjoying getting to know who she is as an adult.