Sunday, October 26, 2014

Vision For Our Children

When we lived in Texas we were part of ministry that reached out to “edgier” teens and young people through a coffee shop and music venue. One night some girls showed up in in clothing that rivaled a street walker's uniform.  What little they were wearing was super tight and/or see through. It didn’t really bother me that they were dressed that way. I mean, these are the people we were reaching out to afterall, the ones that were rejected by other church environments. It did make me wonder though how it got to be that way for them. I know for a fact most of these kids are from really awful home enviroments. In that moment though I wondered if my daughter would ever dress that way, even though she was chubby little baby at the time my mind flashed ahead to this vision of her as a teenager trying to leave the house in something scandalous and me forbidding her to and her yelling you can’t make me, and then taking off slamming the door behind her. It was an ugly picture. I turned to my friend next me and said, do you ever worry that your kids are going to choose the wrong path? That your daughter might dress like a hooker or that your son might do drugs? She looked at me and with all seriousness she replied NO. The thing I worry about is that I know my children are called to ministry. I just know that God’s leading them somewhere to do big things, and it will be so hard to say goodbye.

I was stunned. It wasn’t this holier than thou comment, she meant it and I suddenly I felt jelous of her vision. The thoughts and words she had for her children's future looked so much better than mine. Even if she was saying should would be sad about it, I know she would be proud and honored to send them out to do kingdom work. I knew then I needed to get a better projection for my chlldren. I know God’s plans for them are not that of destruction, so why would I buy into the fear of the enemy like that?    


She will probably kill me for posting this, but it was too perfect to illustrate my point. Crystal is at the wheel ready to take on the world while I am frantically trying to hold on to the children. We have 7 kids between us and we were both pregnant in this shot. 

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t this major concern that I had, but the thought did cross my mind. The biggest stumbling blocks I have found as I journey to be a godly parent is fear and doubt.  I could focus on the worst case scenario and live in fear or I could call out God’s promises over my children and do as philippians 4:8, focusing on things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

What is the vision that you have for your child’s future? In the book Wild Things it says “Having a vision helps us to structure a boy’s life according to it’s design. When we have a vision of who they are, and who they are becoming, we can engage with them and lead them toward the path they are to follow in their lives. The vision we hold for our children becomes the compass that keeps them on track."


This is the final week for Teachable parenting. As I close out this series I want us be seeking the Lord to give us vision for our children. Then over the next couple days I will be sharing about drawing it out. Even with only 5 days left I am just as excited as when I started to see what is in store! 



This is day 25 of a 31 day series. For more Teachable Parenting click HERE

2 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Another wonderful, smart and thoughtful post. I definitely agree that it's so important to create a vision for our children. I think fear and doubt plague every good mother but hope and the love of the Lord will lead us through.

Lauren said...

I am much more like you... envisioning a hooligan instead of a productive member of God's kingdom. Somedays, though, I look at my Caleb, who is 11 and in the midst of pre-teen angst, and see a glimmer of the man that God has created. I sometimes see it when he offers the lady at Walmart a tip or when he shows compassion on a classmate. Those little glimpses are what I cling to, and the verse from Proverbs about training a child up in the way that he should go. My boy is oh so spoiled (he was the only grandchild on both sides for 9 years)... but he is also loved by an Almighty God that has His hand on him. Oh, Lord, use him... and give me peace with how You do.
Thanks for sharing, sweet sister. I am so enjoying your posts!