Thursday, April 14, 2011

Distancing Myself

Last week my phone was going shorter and shorter intervals in between charges until it eventually just stopped working entirely. It’s a long story, but I went without a phone for 5 days. This week a tornado touched down and a high wind storm went through my city. Roofs were torn off, trees were knocked over, shopping carts and patio furniture were tossed around as if they were made of Styrofoam and we had to go about our business without any electricity for the day.

Lots of debris to pick up

We all are doing fine by the way. It did affect our home some, but we may actually get a new roof out of it.

J checking out on of the trees that snapped in half.


In the midst of having no phone and no power I finished up the book I had been reading about unplugging from the hyperconnectivity of the digital age and it really got me thinking. I have a new phone now (more on that later), my computer is working (even if it is on it's last leg), and the power has been restored in our home, but I don't want to return to life as usual.

Call me crazy, but today we are taking off to spend a couple nights in a tent and purposefully distance ourselves from the comforts and luxuries of our home. I am looking forward to this little adventure, but I am even more excited about the big adventure that is life and the direction that I feel the Lord is calling me. I didn't plan on taking a blogging break this week. I had a topic planned, and some posts loosely written. It pretty much took a tornado to stop me, but I will be back to blogging next week and I want to share some about some of the bold, but exciting changes we've made as a family and what I am learning through all of this distance.

4 comments:

Momma of The B.M.C. Report said...

Thankful everyone is safe! Excited to hear about all of exciting changes! Praying you enjoy this time off!

{amy} said...

I'm glad y'all are OK! I look forward to hearing about your changes!

Virginia Revoir said...

So glad you guys are safe.

This happened to us before and we actually all sat outside next to a fire and just talked. We rarely ever do that. It was the most satisfying time. I totally know what you are talking about. Have fun! :D

Katie @ Mama the Reader said...

Really glad you guys are safe. I'm excited to hear your reflections about being totally unplugged. (Is that some kind of irony that I want to read a BLOG about being unplugged?)

You've made me want to read Hamlet's Blackberry, and it's on my list if I can ever finish the fiction I am in the thick of right now. Have fun camping!