Thursday, April 7, 2011

Getting the Most Out of Baby Clothes

Baby clothes are cute, but they grow out of them so quickly you are lucky if they get to wear an item more than a handful of times. I have found a couple tricks that work to help the clothes go a little further.

First of all, kudos to whoever started put the adjustable elastic bands inside of toddler clothes. I actually found these shorts at a thrift store that are a size 18 months, thanks to the elastic inside I was able to adjust them into a size that fit my 3 month old.
Since they were shorts and not pants it worked out perfectly. Now she is wearing them again this summer.


Then I got this 6-12 month top that she wore as a dress last year...


and this summer it's converted into a top.

She also has on shorts were worn by her brother. That's another way to get more use out of clothes, by having those key gender neutral items.

The trick is to not limit yourself to the original intention for the size or style of the clothes. Who says those capris can't be pants or vice versa? Or why can't that yellow onesie work for a boy with some blue shorts? Last year's long skirt is this year's short skirt. You get the idea.

For more tips on saving some dough check out Frugal Friday's at Life As Mom.



8 comments:

Frugal Friend said...

I have done this too! It works out nicely for my petite daughter. She is 8 and wears her former pants (from when she was 4) as capri leggings under her skirts.

Here is my entry for this week's Frugal Friday:
http://frugalforyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/rapnzel-birthday-cake.html

and another:
http://frugalforyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/lowes-build-grow-2nd-4th-saturdays.html

{amy} said...

Great ideas! Way to be frugal!!

Anonymous said...

nice. :)
and i love her little sprouty curls growing out - very cute!

laughwithusblog said...

Great ideas! I'm sure I wouldn't have thought about it!

Robbie @ Going Green Mama said...

Keep in mind too that once kids graduate from diapers to underwear, you can drop a size in the waistline, particularly in the summer shorts weather!

As the kids get older I've tried to buy more generic colors and designs so that either girl or boy could wear them.

Staceemaree said...

I perform these tricks all the time! Also, my teen wears old dresses that grow too short, over top of jeans or slacks. It's an interesting look that works.

Virginia Revoir said...

I agree! It's so creative. :D

diaper coupon said...

Beautiful and colourful dresses. This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my
search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping
me outta my problem.