Thursday, April 21, 2011

Our First Garden

I have never been able to grow a darn thing. J on the other hand has a knack for agriculture, so he's been leading the way as we embark upon this family gardening adventure together.

With as much as I want to be a country girl I still have a lot of city left in me. I couldn't believe how much the pea seeds looked like peas. If you've got the "are you serious?" look on your face right now it is probably the same look my husband gave me when he told me that peas are seeds. That makes sense, but I never thought about it.

I was also shocked about how quickly everything has sprouted. Some stuff grew overnight and by a week we had a little growth from almost every row we had planted!

My biggest concern is that there are little animals to contend with so we need to get the chicken wire up pronto. I've seen what those birds can do to a fig tree. But for now I'm still in the honeymoon stage of gardening.

The whole experience has been great and while I may not know the fate our plants, at the end of the day I do know that we've done something right if we are all outside together and I hear or say the words "you kids need a bath!"

3 comments:

Marlene said...

My dad been growing a Garden forever but I can't grow a thing. I am so glad that you got your first Garden to work out what a blessing God has giving you

{amy} said...

Yay! I wish I had room for a vegetable garden! My yard is super tiny! I had absolutely no idea that peas were seeds, either! ;)

Danielle said...

Cute garden, and even cuter dirty, chubby legs! I hope it is a huge success! I would recommend for sure getting that chicken wire up as soon as possible: both of my last two gardens failed because of animal invaders (deer the first time, and my dog the second time!)