Friday, April 1, 2011

The Buzz on Bugs (trivia game)

Along with the flowers and sunshine there is another element of springtime that can not go unnoticed and that is the bugs. SJ has bug bites for the first time and Z got stung for the first time, fortunately he is not allergic like his mother or we would have had another emergency room visit.
In celebration of these latest milestones I thought it might be fun to have a little bug trivia challenge. Let's see who can name that bug!
These bugs have a very active social life here in Texas, but I think their party lifestyle might include booze because they bump into stuff wherever they go.
These things are like the latest gossip tabloids you see them everywhere and they are hard to get away from. Also much like Hollywood, what is big news one day is gone the next, lifespan of these insect is only a couple of couple weeks.


These guys sing to attract females which seems be a popular approach these days. I hope the singing works because they are certainly not getting anywhere with their looks. I tried to pick the most appealing image I could find of one because most of their "profile pictures" make me gag. YUCK!


I thought Sean Combs, Puff Daddy, Diddy, P-doodle, had many names, but these guys are just as bad. They don't urinate but they do poop and they eat it (aren't you glad you stopped by messymom.com today?)



Alright, let's see how well you did. Whether you are playing along or not you may want to check out the answers in the comment section, I think some of them may surprise you.

6 comments:

Zion said...

I am not a bug expert, but I know a little about these bugs from living "with" them every spring/summer here is Texas. Each number in this post is a link incase anyone wants more info.

Now for the answers.

1. June Bug or just plain Beetle.

2. Crane Fly. This one is confusing, it's not a mosquito, or mosquito hawk, which is a dragon fly. In the UK they can also be called daddy long leg, but that's a spider here in the US. The crane fly is the largest of flies and it is not true that they eat mosquitos as some believe. So unfortunately they are just a noncontributing pest.

3. Cicada (not locust). Although they have ALWAYS grossed me out, especially the way they shed I have come to learn (through googling today) that to a lot of people love them like you would butterflies. Some have cicada themed decor, jewelry, and tatoos. To each their own.

4. My family calls these roly polys, but they also go by woodlouse, sow bug, potato bug, doodle bug, and butchy boy(?) in Autstralia. They actually aren't insects though. They are crustaceans (like shrimp) that live on land. Who knew?


Hope you've had fun. Feel free to share any of your bug insights. I'd love to hear whose hanging out at your place and what bugs you do and don't like.

{amy} said...

OK, it looks like I'm not as keen on my bug knowledge as I though! Here were my answers:

1. June Bug {though they arrive before June!}
2. ? {I see them all the time, though}
3. Locust
4. Doodle Bug/Roly Poly

I'm so glad you didn't mention roaches, because I may have had to shut the computer if I had seen a picture of them! Eeeeewwwww!

Anonymous said...

Your Dad and I did pretty good but we thought the crane fly was a may fly. Also I thought #4 was also a pill bug.
N.L.W.

Anonymous said...

I only got #3 wrong, I thought it was Locust. We call the Crane Fly "daddy long legs" in California...

Staceemaree said...

OMG... P. Doodle ... LMAO! I love that. This "game" was so funny. I do recognize most the bugs. Can't remember here you're living right now, but boy, you should see some of the insects we dealt with in Florida!

Erynne Nicole said...

I love listening to cicadas but I can do without looking at them. Although I used to LOVE looking for their shed skins in the early summer time!
Thanks for the random trivia!