Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far


Today I went to pick up the babysitter and as she was walking to the car Z said "she wore that shirt last time" and he was right, but I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't said anything. His keen clothing observation makes me think of his dad. He gets a lot of traits from his dad.

For example I think he must have a 10 gallon bladder. I think it's pretty common for most people to make a trip to the bathroom first thing in the morning, but Z can go hours before I realize he still hasn't had a potty break all day after sleeping through the night. This is definitely not from me. Sorry if that's TMI.

Also, Z is a totally cuddle bug, completely affectionate towards all of us and that has to be J too. J comes from a family of huggers, and he has a reputation of hugging. To him you hug when you say goodbye, even if you will see that person the next day.

I have also noticed that Z seems to have a profound awareness of location for a 3 year old. When we were in Kentucky we went to my brother's house and my mom (who has been there dozens of times) pulled into the wrong driveway, so Z (who has only been there once or twice) says "this isn't the right house". It was crazy. I have my mom's sense of direction Z has his dad. When he gets older he'll probably be my human GPS.

He loves to make up songs like his old man. He's a total night owl, that's J too. He also likes scary stories and he's a picky eater all stuff that comes from my husband. THE LIST GOES ON. The older Z gets the more of his dad I see in him, but that's not to say he doesn't have any of my traits. I definitely get credit for his brown eyes and love of chocolate.

Do you know of any traits from you or your kids that are directly linked with certain family members?

4 comments:

Virginia Revoir said...

Yes, my kids are slobs and hyper like me. If they have any sense of organization they get it from their father. Except all 6 have blonde hair like me too. Thankfully they are still smart and don't walk into walls. I have two broken toes from doing that. Heh heh

Staceemaree said...

My mother once cursed me with "I hope you grow up to have a daughter JUST LIKE YOU." And it worked. My teen is the spitting image of me, appearance and behavior. Thanks Mom.

{amy} said...

Ha ha! Elly has a bladder like J & Z! & she definitely doesn't get it from me!! I wish I was still around to see Z's little character for myself! He sounds like such a great little man!

{YES, Dan dabbles in body building! We've been forced to watch the Mr. Olympia contest with him a time or two! & thank you for the list of worship musicians to check out! I appreciate that ~ it's funny that you almost didn't see that post! Also, I totally know what you mean about people not being comfortable talking about death. I'm glad you don't feel like I'm being gloomy! I was one who bottled it up earlier in life, so I get that too! I feel good when other people talk about it, because I know it can bring some healing. Does that make sense?}

Virginia Revoir said...

I got your comment on my blog. :) Believe me, it's gotten 10 times messier than that. It was just the only picture I had like that. ;)