Monday, May 9, 2011

Waiting

I am not the most patient person when waiting. I'm not the worst either, I think I am just average, which in our culture means I don't tolerate much. I had to photograph a professor the other day who had a line of people outside of his office. I had an appointment, but somehow it didn't matter. Isn't that how it always goes when someone has Dr. in front of their name?

So I am sitting outside his office waiting next to this old lady and noticing my equipment she asks me about my profession. I tell her about my job and how most importantly I am a mom. She starts advising me about having a back up plan because photography is unsteady work. Then she says "but you have your kids... for now". It was so strange. I was glad when my time of waiting was over.

Then today I went to have my license renewed. You walk in and take a number (I took a number and a picture).
Then they call a number, a person walks in and out within 5 minutes, BUT they still do not call another number for another 20 minutes. In the mean time I am going a little stir crazy and dreading getting my picture taken because the idea of going to the DMV was not preplanned and I looked like crap. Finally they call my number and I have to fill out a little form which asks if I want to be an organ donor and I am not sure. I checked yes for one box, but no to another which sounded more like giving your parts to scientific research. It's not that I don't want to donate I would LOVE the opportunity, but unfortunately I have known some people that were donors and I've listened to stories from their loved ones who told me that dealing with the organ donor process immediately after the unexpected loss was a tedious intrusive and a painful thing to endure in the middle of a very difficult time. This makes me hesitant.

As I am filling out this information the employee asks me if I am still 5 '4, to which I laughed and confirmed. Then she asks my weight and I have to think about it. I know they aren't worried about the exact numbers, but I was taken off guard. I don't ever talk about my weight to anyone, it just seems personal. Not that I am worried about the DMV, I'm just saying that it feels weird to say it out loud, and on top of that I weigh less now than I ever have in my adult life, so the weight I am used to being is no longer the exact weight that I am. I never tried to loose anymore weight when I got down to my goal about 5 months after having SJ, but then I went down about 5 pounds further. At first I gave credit to breast feeding, then my excuse was that I was busy planning for my vow renewal, and now I am cutting back on sugar because of health issues. Either way I am at a healthy weight and I may or may not stay this size for long, but I am not complaining.

Anyway, I got my new license, the photo is taken, and I am not thrilled with the results, but I can live with it for 5 years or 6 if history repeats itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In GA I have not had my license photo redone for 13 years. They just have you renew online. Once I even went in person when one was stolen and they just reissued the same photo.
What a bossy-busy-body lady in the waiting room of the Prof....
She was trying to project her story onto you.
--Michele R.

{amy} said...

I completely understand your experience (except for the weird lady talking about a back up plan)! It took me an hour & 1/2 last time I renewed mine. Ugh! And I totally hesitated when it came to the weight thing, too! I don't talk about weight with anyone, either. And if you can believe this, I actually told her 2 pounds more than I was?! I have no idea why!! And she probably thought I was telling her less!!