Saturday, October 17, 2009

It's Inherent

You know how there are those things that most mom's just do? The things that just come with the territory, and you can try and resist it, but somehow you end up doing them. I shared a little bit about this phenomenon when I talked about momisms last year, but there is more to it than just the things you say. Here is my list of some of the mom traits I have inherited so far.

1. Licking the finger and wiping the face
We've all seen it, kids hate it, but somehow my son always has something on his face and I don't have a wet wipe handy so out comes the wet finger.

2. Having two conversations at once
Mom's have the ability to stop in mid sentence, address the child/children, and jump right back in without taking a breath. Just beware while this skill does work between two mother's, but husbands, sales clerks, etc. may not have the abilty to follow you in conversation.

3. Calling your spouse "dad"
My parents always addressed each other as mom and dad even when they weren't talking to us. I have heard other parents do this too, so I know I am not the only one. I always wondered why they did that, until I had a child. At least when they are young they will repeat your name and call you whatever your spouse does. I have a friend whose daughter calls her mom "babe."

4. Spelling words out
Once again this is for the baby and toddler years, but we automatically spell out anything that could trigger a response with our son. Like, "are you going to bake any c-o-o-k-i-e-s? " or "I am about to put him down for an n-a-p". The only problem we have run into is how to spell m&m's without it being obvious?

So that is my list of 4 things. I hate ending on a 4, because I like lists to be either 3, 5, or 10, but that's all I've got for now. Maybe you could fill in #5 for me. What is it that you do that is a typical parental trait?


4 comments:

Jen said...

LOL - the m&m dilemma. we are using m&m's for potty purposes. saying it delivers a whole array of reactions! so you got me curious to see what that m&m stands for...who knew?

Mars and Murries

So there you go. We have a substitute. :-)

On a completely random sidenote - did you see my facebook page and the vbac debate that is wanting to take place? *roll my eyes* there is a delightful history with those two and it is in NO way shocking that they have to respond to something as such...we should chat about it. it has my blood boiling. :-)

Anonymous said...

when the i catch the kids doing something they shouldn't i call them by their full names (middle name included). it's so weird, i never thought i would do that, but i can't seem to help it!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Oh, so true. I do all of these! We actually don't like calling each other mommy and daddy, but we realized we had to when our daughter started calling us Mark and Mary instead!!

Zion said...

Hannah, yours is going to be #5 because that is such a mom thing to do. I am guilty of doing it to Jeremy too.