Thursday, October 22, 2009

Things That Encourage Positive Body Image

Yesterday I ranted a little, and believe me it was light, about negative images of women in marketing. I could go on and on about that, but I really only touched on the Ralph Lauren ad scandal. That is not to say however that there is nothing out there that makes me feel like someone got it right. Here are just a couple of the products that encourage me that the state of women's individuality, inner, and outer beauty are not all going down the toilet!

First of all I believe Dove has done a phenomenal job over the past few years taking a realistic and encouraging approach to beauty products. From the young girl ashamed of her body contemplating not eating lunch, to the middle aged career woman feeling pressure to have surgery in order to succeed in life, Dove has inspired millions to feel comfortable in their own skin. Their campaign for real beauty is something I can definitely give my stamp of approval. Thank you dove for choosing your own unique path in the marketing industry and encouraging us to do the same in our own lives.

Next up is All You magazine. I know this is a far cry from high end fashion magazines or tabloids, which were my guilty pleasures at one time, but I have actually really come to appreciate All You. I subscribed to it just for the coupons ONLY, but in the end was more impressed with the way they represent mothers and women altogether.

I've looked at my fair share of parenting and maternity magazines, but they still only feature a certain type of woman (this is not just about size, but also race, facial features, and age). So unless you look at O magazine and get to see Oprah, who is still airbrushed to the max, it's hard to come by a magazine featuring real women, which All You does, so I give props there.

What about you? Have you seen any ads, products, or magazines that represent natural beauty in a positive light? These are just a couple the things that encourage positive body image that I happen to love and it's a part of Things I Love Thursday at TheDiaperDiaries.net. Check it out.


3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm right with ya! Love the Dove marketing, it totally gets things right. ALL the women I know in real life are beautiful in their own way. It's a shame that the vast majority of marketing gets it wrong and that getting it right is the exception to the rule.

Anonymous said...

i get a clothing magazine called "Title 9". all of the "models" are real life women and they even tell you their name and a little info about each of them. they range from nuclear engineers to mom of three boys. it's the only magazine i can look at and not feel like i'm not measuring up.

thediaperdiaries said...

This is why I will go out of my way to purchase Dove products. As a mom of 2 girls I love how they are trying to build young girl's self esteem. If only other companies would see their success as incentive to do the same.