Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Look Back and Laugh: No Makeup VS. No Hair

When you have a job that includes dealing with coworkers you meet a lot of interesting people. I think that is why the show The Office is such a hit, we have all been there. The fictional characters may be a little exaggerated, but yet we can associate them with someone we've met. I used to work with a girl at the Macaroni Grill who shaved her head. She seemed like the artsy type. She was short and her voice was kind of monotone. I will never forget the time she told me that if I wore make up I might get better tips. She even offered me to dab a napkin on her lip gloss if I wanted to try it for immediate results. At first I thought she was maybe selling something, but nope, she was just offering a word of advice. It's not that I never wore make up, but let's be honest the most time you will ever spend on your appearance at your place of work is for the interview. Then if you do get the job you get cleaned up for training classes because the manager and all of your new coworkers are going to be forming their first impressions, but by the time you get settled into the daily grind it's all you can do to wear clean clothes and get to work on time. So in response to my petite semi bald coworker I just thanked her and held back the urge to ask her if she ever thought that having hair might increase her tips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, wow that is a bit strange...

Becky said...

Wow! I mean, I think that might be good advice, but how strange coming from someone with no hair. I wonder if her customers noticed her lip gloss!

{amy} said...

Wow. I applaud you for biting your tongue! I'm sure I would've wanted to say something! How do I not remember hearing about her before?!

{Thanks for the comment on Pete's post. I'm glad we got to visit the other day, too!}