Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why I Am Having A Natural Childbirth

As I have already announced this will be my second natural childbirth, but my first home birth. Although there are plenty of women that take this route it is certainly not the most popular option.When someone finds out that I am choosing a drug free labor it usually spurs on all kinds of reactions. Most people don't understand why on earth someone would opt out of an epidural. I had one lady tell me in a very sarcastic tone "you know they don't give out trophies at the end right?" I was really glad that she told me this ahead of time because that would have been a huge let down otherwise. I was really looking forward to having a natural labor trophy sitting on my mantel. Can you picture it? On top it would have a little golden figurine of woman laying down and giving birth with a look of terror on her face.

Seriously though, contrary to what some people may think my choice to have a natural labor has nothing to do with a competition or bragging rights. I can't speak for all the women that have drug free labor, because everyone's reasons are different, but in some ways I would compare it to is running a marathon (or any kind strenuous race). I have friends that are really into running. They run for various causes, they run for their health, and they are going to keep on running just like Forrest Gump unless their Doctor tells them otherwise. I am happy for those friends. Personally running isn't really my thing, but I don't call them crazy and tell them that marathons are overrated and they would be much happier doing something else.

That is kind of how I feel about home birth. I know it's not for everyone, some people can't fathom having to have the endurance, others may have medical reasons why it's not the best choice for them. I do it because I was raised in a home that had a very positive outlook on labor and so I don't have the fear that most women do when they think of childbirth. I also believe it is the healthiest choice for me and my baby, although any delivery (whether being induced, having an epidural, or a C section) with a healthy mother and baby is a successful one! Lastly, I do it because I like the whole experience of being outside of a hospital in a cozier environment with more control over the birth process as a whole.

That's pretty much it, in case anyone was wondering. I am looking forward to this birth.


No one pressured me into this one way or the other, but I am grateful for the support of my friends and family. I love my midwife and the staff at family birth services. I love the fact that my husband is more than 100% supportive (it was his idea to have this one at home.) Even though I don't get a trophy at the end, being present in that moment, having my husband catch the baby and put the little one in my arms for the first time is an amazing feeling and that's got to count for something.

4 comments:

Crystal @ The Thrifty Mama said...

I had a natural birth with my first and a home birth with my second. It was the most amazing experience and really is empowering to give birth at home and under your own chosen circumstances.
Not all women are able to do this, but I highly recommend they all consider it. I truly believe women are putting themselves and their babies at risk by allowing doctors to inject drugs into their bodies (and in turn these go full strength into the baby's body as well).
For me, dealing with a little pain is worth it knowing that my baby is coming out without being all doped up. :)
I do know there are situations where this isn't possible though. But I think too often we give into drugs when they aren't necessary.

Daddy-O said...

Actually, all mothers do get a trophy in the end. You get to hold it immediately, but you only get to keep it a set number of years. This makes it that much more of a precious prize.

TracyL26 said...

You are my hero when it comes to childbirth. I tried with Caleb to do it naturally and even though I didn't make it, I'll try again with the next. Can't wait to hear how it goes! So exciting! I wish they did that in GA. The only midwife I can find to do a homebirth is either in Jesup, GA or Chatt. TN :(

Anonymous said...

great explanation, nat! very humble and non-intimidating to anyone reading. ;)
looking forward to D-day - you're going to do wonderfully....