Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Minimum Wage Restaurant Days

I haven't worked that many places in my lifetime, but most of the jobs I have held involved service in the food industry. When I was 16 I had very short lived position at Mc Donald's, the same one my mom was working at only she was day shift. After that I moved up to being a hostess at the Olive Garden. This is the job I still had when I got married at the tender age of 18! I was always terrified of waiting tables, but the money was better and eventually the management covinced me to face my fears and become a server so I moved up from hostess to waitstaff. That position lasted 3 years. Unfortunately when I quit the Olive Garden I left on kind of a sour note, but I won't get into that story right now. I went straight from that job to working weekday lunches at The Macaroni Grill. As an insider I must say that The Macaroni Grill has so much more going for it and I worked there for over 3 years. All in all that makes nearly 7 years of wearing black pants a white collared buttoned down shirt and a tie. It's also 7 years of the serving up pasta and wine while listening to the same big band era songs over and over for $3.15 an hour plus tips.

I learned a lot through the years of working in the food industry. I refined what I look for in a cuisine. I had some tough lessons involving customer service, and I definitely learned the value of a dollar. I don't miss the days of waiting tables, not one bit. It was good for the time being though and now I can carry a lot of things at once.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a money that usually is spent
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I was a waitress for a summer during college, and I hated every minute of it. I think I'd be a better waitress now, but I much prefer being a cashier somewhere over being a server!

Anonymous said...

carrying a lot of things at once... definitely a good mommy skill. ;)