Monday, May 3, 2010

Stolen Numbers

A couple of weeks ago my mom told me about how her debit card was stolen, but she never lost it. It wasn't even like they had the numbers and were using them to do some online shopping, it was as though they had a copy of her actual debit card and she could see everything that they were purchasing. This included gas, groceries, and a Red Box rental. Red Box of all things! Fortunately the bank was onto the dirty rotten thieves and my folks didn't have to pay for any of it.

Then today I got a call from my bank because there was some suspicious activity on my card. I called back right away and they asked if I had done a "test run on my card at Home Depot". I said absolutely not, I haven't done anything at home depot. I have know idea how it all works, but the lady mentioned something about fishing for numbers. Apparently a couple of one dollar charges from Home Depot showed up as fraudulent in their system and I am so thankful that they caught it because I went online and sure enough hundreds of dollars were spent on my card from Publix and TJMaxx which are stores that aren't even local to my area and I have never used my card at. Right now my business account is $300 in the negative, but I am filing a report tomorrow and was told that it should all be credited back to my account. I hope so because I don't think you can be much more broke than I am right now.

These aren't the criminals that you see in movies, stealing fancy cars and exotic pieces of art from museums. It's almost like my grandma got a hold of my debit to pick up weekly groceries and check out the senior specials from their favorite bargain retailer. Shoot, if I wouldn't have cancelled my card they probably would have hit the drug store to pick up their medications. It's so strange, and very unfortunate.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?


5 comments:

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Wow! I've never had that happen, but how frustrating! Do you know how they got your numbers in the first place??

Michele R said...

My last post is about how last week I saw that close to $1,000 was gone out of my checking account due to someone seeing a check of mine (one that I wrote to someplace as I have not lost any checks) and printing out a new check that had my bank acct info and copied my signature.
These bank/credit card employees sure are busy these days with their fraud departments having to keep up with this stuff. I think it is only going to happen to more and more of us whether it is a debit card, credit card, or a fraud check.

Anonymous said...

same thing just happened to us less than a month ago. $1 at a sports authority in ohio and then $2000 at Louis Vutton(sp?). Bank caught it and wouldn't let it go through. We have gotten 2 calls from the bank since asking about activity. so scary.
amber & grey

{amy} said...

Somehow, I missed this post earlier in the week! How crazy! Do you know how they got your numbers? I just had a PC tune up & found out that I have over 200 infected files on my computer. The tech said that my information could be stolen that way. Scary!

Staceemaree said...

Last yr someone had my numbers and bought a membership to an online dating service. Three yrs ago, someone stole my numbers and tried to take $300 from an atm at a 7-11 in CA, (I'm in NC). They were denied and tried again at a Wachovia around the corner from the 7-11, only this time at that very moment, I was sitting in my bank's office, and we were watching the computer screen when the posting came through. Something even weirder happened seven yrs ago.