Monday, December 6, 2010

Anchors

Yesterday J preached. He usually just leads worship, but for this Sunday he was in charge of it all! I was proud of him as always. We were reminded how communion is an instruction that the Lord gave us to anchor us and help us to remember what Christ did. He compared this to other traditions such as birthdays and Christmas. These are times that we commemorate and memorialize something that happened. Sometimes these traditions just become mundane and we don't even care about what it all really means anymore. I was encouraged yesterday that when we get tossed about in our fickle ways and we loose sight of what is important these anchors help us to stay grounded.

There was a lot more to it and they are working on starting a podcast maybe you can hear it someday, but that was the theme of the message. It really meant a lot to me because I have seen a similar theme in what the Lord has been doing in our lives recently. As I look back over this past season I see so many of these anchors. We have commemorated our marriage, a dear friends birthday, and a family that was reunited. In a month that can be a bit overwhelming at times I just want to take this week to look back and reflect on some of the things that I would hate to forget.

1 comment:

{amy} said...

I know what you mean about some traditions becoming mundane. What a good way to think of communion ~ as an anchor.