Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Nigerian Side


Our Pastor and the whole family together

I have some friends from church that are from Nigeria. Last year they were finally able to get all the paper work cleared to have their children come to live with them in the states. This year they had the idea to do this special Thanksgiving celebration where we integrated many of their customs and traditions into our Sunday service. It was a special time of praising the Lord together. I even wore an African outfit that belonged to my friend.
J & I with the lovely couple that provided us with these ensembles.

Afterwards there was a big reception with, goat, fish heads, dancing, and fire. The fire wasn't planned, but one of the candles fell over. Luckily it was put out very quickly and nothing was damaged.

Z playing with his new friends

The whole experience was new to me, but it was an honor to embrace the Nigerian culture and thank God for all that he has done. Hopefully there will be more opportunity for me to wear this bright green outfit in the future.



Video of my attempt at dancing to Nigerian music.


This post is linked up with Alicia's Homemaking, for Try New Adventures Thursday.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Girl, you are awesome. A video and all! What fun. We have a neighbor from Nigeria who comes over for dinner every so often...he's a cool guy.

{amy} said...

Fun! I saw stuff about Nigeria on peoples' facebook, so it's nice to know the story behind it! Way to go on trying something new!

Anonymous said...

I believe a saw a sweet white haired lady from a previous post dancing her heart out in the back. Wish I had been there.
N.L.W.