Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: BLACK FRIDAY

Christmas is creeping up earlier every year, and everyone has an opinion on that, but I think we are all ready to welcome Christmas by the time Thanksgiving is over. Sometimes this means very early the morning after Thanksgiving, the crazy shopping tradition known as Black Friday. Now normally I don't participate in such propaganda, but this year it got the best of me.

After a couple hours of shopping early that Friday morning I had not bought a single thing and was beginning to feel the pressure, so while at Old Navy I spotted a onesie on sale for $5 that said "baby's first Christmas". It was cute, and I thought "why not"? The logical answer to that question would have been "because the line goes from the 10 check out registers to the back of the store!" However, it seemed to be moving really quickly and my sister in law who I was with was still looking around.

When she was finished I had crept up quite a bit in the line, but it seemed to be moving slower and slower. After about 20 minutes I looked behind me to see that I was no longer toward the end of the line, but yet I still had so much further to go. At 30 minutes I was starting to get leg cramps and totally ready to jump ship, but if I did I would have just wasted 30 minutes and bought nothing so I tried to have endurance. Eventually I shamelessly plopped down on the floor with my onesie in a line that was seemingly going nowhere. At 45 minutes I called the hubby to bring food and water and after AN HOUR I was FINALLY just about to check out. All the customers around me were like "is that all you are getting?" They couldn't believe that I had waited that long for a onesie. The mother and daughter behind me asked "is that really that important?"
"NO!" I shouted, not at them, but at myself and I continued "No it's not that important at all!!! I didn't realize I would be in line this long. Next year when this baby wears this at Christmas I will say 'we waited a long time for you darling, and waited almost just as long for your shirt'"

2 comments:

Michele R said...

If I were in line in front of you I would have totally paid for the onesie for you.
I have done Black Friday at Target for 4 years now and have never waited long in line. And I get great deals so I am a believer now.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

an hour???!! i feel sick just thinking about it...
but i'm sure it was a character building experience. ;)