Thursday, February 10, 2011

Same Kind Of Different As Me


Last week I said that I was going to start reading Same Kind Of Different As Me. Well, I did start it and finished it within three days. I loved this book so much I had to force myself not to read it all at once. The story is about "a modern day slave, an international art dealer, and the unlikely woman who bound them together" (to steal the words right off the cover).

The chapters alternate between the perspective of the two writers. It goes through the story of their upbringing all the way up to how their lives collided and were forever changed. My friend Tracy warned me to be prepared to cry like a baby and she was right. So now I am warning you in case you plan on reading it. The story is 100% true and is sure to challenge and inspire you.

One of the things I really enjoyed about the book is that most of it took place in the DFW area, so when they mentioned specific streets or landmarks I already have a mental picture and know exactly where they are referring to. One of the writers grew up in Corsicana which is right by where I live. I even photographed the Corsicana choir for their High School year book. One of the most memorable moments I had in this city was when I graduated from college. I went to Navarro college in waxahachie, but the ceremony took place on the main campus in Corsicana. Here is a photo of me from that day.
Unfortunately it was heart wrenching to hear some of the prejudice and injustices that happened in this area not that long ago.

Anyway, I don't want to share anymore at risk of spoiling it for anyone, but go check it out. If you need to vent your thoughts with someone afterwards, like I did, I am available. I've already started on another book called Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel, but you aren't going to find a review from me next week or anything. I will be taking a little more time on this one. The past three books I have read have kept me turning pages late into night and I think it's time for me to get caught up on my sleep.

What about you? Have you been reading, sleeping, or neither?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read one book that lead to another. "Heaven is for Real", then Akeana. The are both great and yes they kept me from, ah, well house work. I'm not sure it takes a good book to do that. LOL!
N.L.W.

Anonymous said...

I just wrote a post about this yesterday, too! Maybe we are twins... ;)

{amy} said...

I requested it at the library, so I should be reading it soon!