Monday, February 21, 2011

A to Z!


As I mentioned at the beginning of the year I have wanted to start working on preschool lessons with Z . All of his other little friends are in day care, mother's day out, or pre k so I was a little concerned that he would fall behind by just staying at home with me. I have had several people assure me that he has plenty of time before he starts school and that I don't need to worry. So, I am not pressuring him in anyway. He is about to be 3 and a half and has at least 12 years of structured schooling ahead of him so now is a good time for him to explore and have fun in a laid back atmosphere.

I am glad to have started the lessons at home with him though. It gives us a chance to have mommy son time, which I know makes him feel special. After our lesson he gets to put a sticker on the calendar for that day. We usually do this a couple times a week.


At the beginning of the year he could say his ABC's and count, but he could not consistently name any of the letters, colors, or numbers with any accuracy. In just 2 months of working together on this he now knows how to spell his first and middle name. He can even write it (although it's not always legible). He knows several letters of the alphabet and sometimes remembers what sounds they make. He can also recognize most shapes and about 8 colors.


That's where we are at right now. I look forward to looking back at this next year and seeing how far he has come.

3 comments:

{amy} said...

Aw! I remember when Elizabeth learned how to write her name! I was regretting the fact that we hadn't given her a nickname yet!! :) I'm glad he's enjoying it & that you're approaching it the way you are ~ no pressure! You'll be amazed at how far he has come when you look back next year!!

Anonymous said...

that's so great - i remember the last time we talked about it (not long ago at all) you were telling me about him getting the letters mixed up. smart boy learning so fast!

Jenn said...

I wanted to thank you for stopping by my site and tell you how much I have really enjoyed your posts! This is my first "day" visiting here. I have been stopping by several times today to catch up on what I have been missing. Just love what you have to say! I'll be back often.