Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Storms On The Way

Actually there aren't any more storms expected around here anytime soon. We did have another no work, or school, or church day on Wednesday because of ice and that was fun, but today is super sunny and it's a beautiful 65 degrees out. Amazing! So the only storm I am here to report is the one we are about to be cooking up in the kitchen.

A month ago my mom and I took on the endeavor of freezer cooking. We (mostly she, to be perfectly honest) put together about 10 meals ready to easily prepare and eat in a hurry. I didn't want to say too much about it until I knew the results. Now that all of the meals have been consumed I can report that I loved it! I plan on doing a full length tutorial eventually, but for now let me just share a couple tidbits of what I am talking about.
The first thing I did was look up plenty of websites ahead of time, like Once A month Mom and Money Saving Mom, but in the end I did my own variation. Once a month mom does 15 dinners a month for various reasons and it made sense to me, so I wrote a list of 15 meals. Some were freezer meals, a few were not, some were new, others were classics that I know I can easily throw together.
The meals didn't last as long as expected because some of our meals that were scheduled outside the home ended up cancelled because of weather or illness . That made our previous efforts that much more rewarding though because I was prepared for the unexpected! All I had to do was grab a frozen meal from the freezer and heat it up. The whole experience so far has been a success.
My mom is back in town, I've got my ten freezer meals planned, and now it's time to go cook up a storm!

5 comments:

{amy} said...

Yay! I keep thinking I'm going to do this. I'm glad it worked out for you. One of these days, I'll get motivated to do it!

Anonymous said...

I need your list of recipes, etc! That's so great :)

Erynne Nicole said...

My mom and I used to do that when I still lived at home.
I have seriously considered doing it again. It would make dinner making so much simpler with everything pre-made. I am all about making life easier!

Katie @ Mama the Reader said...

I'm happy you liked it! My crazy cook-a-million-meals-in-one-day experience taught me to be more open to the idea of freezing in general. Now I usually do it one at a time instead of all at once. I'll make a double batch of soup, for instance, and freeze the half we don't eat. Having frozen muffins is priceless for sleepy mornings, too!

Tricia@onceamonthmom.com said...

I'm glad to hear that you are freezer cooking and that Once A Month Mom is a resource for you! :)